FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 18th, 2020, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutting back
PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm 
FFIMer

I'm trying to cut back on the amount of flies I carry while fishing. My pack is just too heavy, and I'm tired of schlepping it all around and not using most of it. I am currently going threw all my boxes, clearing out the junk flies and stuff I never use. Planning on going back to the basics with just a handful of each.
I know we have conversations every year about go to flies, but what are a handful of nymphs and dries you absolutely can not go to the river without?

Peter

Post subject: Re: Cutting back
PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 7:38 am 
FFIMer

My opinion only...less is more. it’s a constant battle for me to pack light but ive realized that I catch just as many fish with 1 box of the right flies, a lanyard for tippet/nippers, floatant, indicators and weight in pockets as I did in my previous dozen or so overstocked and unsatisfying setups (big vest, hip pack, hybrid backpack/vest, etc). The bigger consideration for me now is not tackle but food and rain gear. If I’m not in a boat or within retreating distance to my vehicle I like the llbean rapid river backpack vest which allows just enough but not too much of anything for a full day on the water. It all depends on what brings you joy on the water. Some people LOVE having exactly the right pattern for that once a year situation (during which a parachute Adams in the right size will also likely work as well or better). I am personally more entertained by the versatility of the Adams ( and the pheasant tail, the stonefly, the grasshopper, the wolly bugger and the copper John) so going lean works for me.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 10:39 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have two of these- a small and large

https://us.seriousfishing.com/CFDESIGN0 ... f%20design

The small one is set up for late fall/winter/early spring fishing
The large one is set up for main season. I have one side filled with streamers, one with nymphs and one with dries. I carry a lanyard with 3, 4 in fluoro and 4, 5,6 in suppleflex. Spilt shot are in the chest pack, mucelin in my pocket and frogs fanny on the lanyard.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 4:56 pm 

My approach is much like Marley's, except I don't do lanyards - they don't bushwhack well...I use a fishing shirt - I keep a small box of the essential nymphs in one pocket and in the other I keep a small box of mostly buggers & muddlers. For the first 2 months of the season I don't even carry any dry flies. When I head down to the river for bass/stripers, I swap one of the boxes out for my bass box. Later in the season I'll custom load one of my standard boxes with flies specifically for the trip I'm going on, which usually means just dropping in a few caddis and/or Adams. Like Marley, If I'm going to be more than a mile away from the truck or out more than half the day, I'll throw on my day pack, which contains all the other stuff. It's amazing how liberating it can be just to take a walk with a fly rod and nothing else...Tight Lines! 

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 7:19 pm 
FFIMer

It all depends. There's nothing i like more than grabbing a "general" box, hanging a lanyard around my neck, grabbing a 3 weight and heading to my local river, but if you're out West and fishing some new big water, you gotta load up. 8 boxes is par for the course. If they're after a size 18 pmd spinner and you don't have one, you'll spend the afternoon watching other people catch fish.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 1:41 pm 
FFIMer

The only vest I have is the LLB Rapid River vest pack. I like it because its holds a ton of stuff... I also dislike it for the same reason. I'm not organized enough to run two set ups, everything I want/need will be the vest or pack I do not take with me. The only thing I tend to change in my vest trip to trip are dry flies, everything else stays the same. Over the past week or so I have already considerably thinned out the number of boxes and flies in use. Threw out a lot of bad, rusty, worn out flies I dont use. Went threw each box and organized it to like things, stonefly box, streamer box, nymph box, caddis dry box, mayfly dry box and SMB box. That's still 6 boxes... but that's also 5 or less then I used to drag around. It will be easy to switch the dry fly boxes in and out as needed... and the SMB box never lives in my vest. I also downsized the boxes to smaller boxes to help cut down on what I carry.

So far the only nymphs I have, other then a dedicated stonefly box, are;
Pheasant Tail
Hares Ear
Micro Maddison Midge
Hickeys Auto Emerger( I fish it under a TMB with weight)

I think those in a few sizes and colors should be all I need.

Peter