FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 23rd, 2020, 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishing Photography
PostPosted: January 28th, 2020, 10:36 pm 

At this time of year one of my favorite things to do is to go back thru the records of past trips & enjoy them all over again - as technology has advanced, our options for recording devices has exploded - on my last few big trips I've employed 3 different types of photographic devices - I'm by no means a tech or gadget freak but each device has distinct advantages over the others, so I thought I'd air out the topic:

1- Pentax Optio W10 waterproof digital camera - Pros: waterproof & durable as hell - it hangs around my neck the entire trip & is the best tool for non-fish still shots - has a movie mode, alarm clock & voice recorder. If I could only use 1 device, this would prolly be it. Cons: movie mode & voice recorder are a bit clunky to use & it requires at least 1 hand to operate - not good for pictures of large, live fish. Doesn't take panoramic shots.

2 - iPhone - Pros: Lots of other functions besides photo & video - does panoramic shots & selfies well - has limited GPS & phone capabilities - converts voice memos to text - has my music on it - has flashlite, magnifier & alarm clock - has bluetooth which allows me to dictate messages to my inReach device instead of keying them in 1 letter at a time - bluetooth also allows me to watch what I am filming with my GoPro. Cons: Not very waterproof, kind of fragile & generally inconvenient to use for photos.

3 - GoPro - Pros: Best tool for video - I wear it on a head band & push 1 button to start rolling & 1 button to stop, so it's essentially hands free - I can pull stills out of the videos so it's good for catch & release fish photos, catching fish in mid-leap & other action stills - it's bomb proof & completely waterproof, so under water video is easy. Cons: Doesn't have very good range & I can't wear it over my hat.

I'd definitely like to cut down on some of the gear I haul into the wilderness but I've never regretted having any of that stuff along, especially at this time of year - anyone out there have any photo/video routines or tricks to share?

Post subject: Re: Fishing Photography
PostPosted: January 28th, 2020, 10:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

I miss my Pentax Optio W10. It had the best macro function I’ve played with. Great little cameras. Unfortunately, I used mine for work and somehow smashed the LCD screen. These days, I mainly run with an iPhone.

My wife bought me a small Eskimo Power solar charger a while back. The iPhone paired with the solar charger was enough to get me through a week in Africa last fall without needing to find additional power.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 7:58 am 
FFIMer

Thing sure have changed Brian I have always loved taking pictures of my adventures. I remember the "old days" with film waiting patiently for it to be developed only to find most pic's were duds!
" See that dot.. its a black bear "
Now on my outings I carry a Olympus Tough its shockproof, waterproof to 30 feet. Takes HD video easy to use and takes great photos.

Attachments:
P9140238.JPG
P9140238.JPG [ 141.89 KiB | Viewed 284 times ]

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 12:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

What Kennebecfly says - even the "see that black dot" comment. My Olympus Tough (820 I think) does a good job and I've beaten it hard a few times - by accident - but pretty hard and it still does a good job.

Here's a link to a recent Podcast by Tom Rosenbauer covering fishing/outdoor photos you might want to listen to:
http://orvisffguide.libsyn.com/from-phones-to-drones-taking-better-pictures-on-the-water

If you don't want to listen to the first 45 minutes or so of questions and answers for listeners the time for the interview start is listed in the write-up.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 1:04 pm 

Hunter - what seems to be a VERY good replacement for the Pentax might be the Fujifilm Finepix XP130 - has more pixels, more optical zoom, bigger screen, wi-fi, bluetooth and is waterproof to 65' - all that and it prolly costs less than the Pentax did 15 years ago! And yes, the next piece of tech I pick up will be some sort of solar charger/back-up power source for my electronics...

K-FLY - I know what you mean - unless the bear is dangerously close, the GoPro makes it look like a porcupine, as evidenced in my James Bay TR...BTW, I have a few pics of yours that still haunt me...

Thanks Mike - I'm definitely going to check out Tom's podcast!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 1:44 pm 
FFIMer

I have a bunch of pro-level camera gear that I'm reluctant to take into the river. I've tried the Pentax you guys mention and after all these years, my phone camera takes better photos, but again, a little reluctant to try and grab it one-handed while knee-deep in moving water.

I think Nikon makes a decent waterproof point-and-shoot too but will look into the Fuji camera Brian mentioned. I see some wonderful things while fishing and would love to find the right solution for taking more photos.

Attachments:
Kennebec-Evening.jpg
Kennebec-Evening.jpg [ 279.14 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 2:22 pm 
FFIMer

A bit off topic. I have approximately 1500 slides (yes I said slides) covering trips to 185 FFO trout ponds in Maine. Pictures were taken in the 80s on a good ole Pentax K 1000. I would like to transfer these pictures (slides) to disc. Anyone got any ideas that wont break the bank? We are not too many years away from these pictures depicting a fishing way of life in Maine when bushwacking into trout ponds to fly fish was a norm and not an exception.

We are only a few decades from these pictures, perhaps, having some historical significance? The fact is, many of these ponds haven't changed that much over the years. The biggest change is that logging roads have been cut closer so access is a bit easier. Many are still a mile or so hike. That puts them at a distance outside the limits of most people who carry canoes. We are really blessed in Maine with a multitude of fly fishing opportunities at our fingertips. It is something we should not take for granted.

I'm getting old so please allow me a story. The first FFO pond where I stashed a canoe was a mile and a half carry from a logging road to the east of the pond. . A few years after I stashed my canoe a new logging road was made to access timber on the south side of the pond. This made a new access of about 200 yards. It didn't take me long to move my stashed canoe over to that side of the pond. One day I hiked in from the south, unlocked my canoe, and paddled out on the pond. I bumped into a couple of guys (from away) in their canoe. They asked "where did you come from". Being a true Maine native I made sure to be short on words and long on sarcasm in my response. I replied, pointing to the direction where I accessed the pond, " Over there". Now, keep in mind these boys just carried their canoe a mile and a half over the old carry. The boys from away replied " We didn't know there was another access. How far did you have to walk to get in". My reply, "200 yards". The fishermen from away replied " We've been coming here for about 10 years. How long has that new road been there." I replied " About 10 years". At that point there was a conversation in the other canoe I couldn't hear.

Oh well, maybe you had to be there.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 3:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

hatch wrote:
A bit off topic. I have approximately 1500 slides (yes I said slides) covering trips to 185 FFO trout ponds in Maine. Pictures were taken in the 80s on a good ole Pentax K 1000. I would like to transfer these pictures (slides) to disc. Anyone got any ideas that wont break the bank?

Hatch- If you figure that one out- let me know. My wife inherited about a million (okay, maybe only a few thousand) slides from her grandparents and we're looking to digitize them as well before they're lost to the elements.

Mike- Regarding camera recommendations- I really don't take that many fish photos anymore- and the iPhone usually does the trick. I did take an Olympus TG camera to Cuba and wasn't impressed at all with the quality of the photos I got from it. Very grainy and color washed.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 3:56 pm 
FFIMer

I think digitizing your slides will boil down to two choices. You can do it yourself by obtaining the attachments required and using your high quality DSLR, or you can pay for a service bureau to do it for you.

Unless you're equipped and prepared to do the tedious work yourself (after spending for the attachments and assuming you have a high quality digital camera), I would suggest you have it done for you.

I did a very fast search and turned up a number of sites offering various levels of service. This one seems pretty cheap and pricing is based on quantity: https://dpsdave.com/slide-scanning-serv ... 8AQAvD_BwE

A couple notes: Quality matters. If you don't have the slides scanned at a high enough resolution, they won't be much good for anything but looking at onscreen. AND, if you're going to pay someone, be very picky about the slides you decide to digitize. That means you'll need to edit ruthlessly and toss the ones that may mean something to you but will mystify anyone else (i.e. "see that little black dot? That's a bear!") since you won't be around to explain.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 4:24 pm 
FFIM Addict

Tinsnip- any thoughts on some of the (relatively) inexpensive slide digitizers on the market these days (the stand alone units)?

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 4:46 pm 
FFIMer

Again, a quick search resulted in a variety of products. I've never used any of them myself so can't provide much more than you would gain by your own search and reading the associated reviews. Here's one that seems simple enough and outputs to an SD card:
https://www.amazon.com/KODAK-SCANZA-Dig ... B00O2BU8PK

But there are bound to be others. In the end I guess I'd ask myself what I thought the end use of the images would be. If it's strictly to post online or send to friends via email, there wouldn't be any need to go to great expense and the unit linked above might be fine. On the other hand, if you think someday the images might be printed and framed and/or published in a print magazine, the quality requirements will be higher and you may want to do some more research and spend a bit more.

Honestly, I've already told you more than I know. But if you've got the time and believe the images are worth it, I say go for it. Otherwise, somebody is going to find them all in a box some day and who knows....

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 8:41 pm 
FFIMer

I always talk about getting a quality camera, but I just keep using my phone for all my fish/duck photos. I have a Samsung Galaxy 8, and it takes great up close shots, and great distance landscape shots. The zoom is terrible, if you zoom in on anything it just gets pixelated or blurry. It does have a fantastic slow motion video setting that has taken some wonderful release shots. I used to wear a lanyard that I looped threw the case on my phone, so I couldn't drop it, but I didn't do that last year... probably should start doing that again.

One of these days I'll get a nice camera, as I think I would really enjoy doing some wildlife and landscape photography.

Peter

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 7:05 am 
FFIMer

Tinsnip, Thanks for the advice. I think the device you linked to on Amazon might do the trick. My end goal is to transfer these slides to CD and project them on a screen for presentation . My slides and Kodak Carousel have served me well but are now a bit out dated. As far as the conversion being time consuming, In the winter I got nothing but time.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 10:00 am 
FFIMer

Hatch: if you end up with a device, circle back and tell us how it worked out. Good luck.