FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 25th, 2020, 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redfish?
PostPosted: January 8th, 2020, 4:07 pm 
FFIM Addict

My wife and I are heading to visit the snowbirds of her family in Florida the middle of next month. We'll be around the Indian River Lagoon area and have a guide booked for a 1/2 day to target what we may (redfish, sea trout, etc..). We may also have access to a boat outside of the guide- which begs the question of what flies to bring with us. Anyone have experience with fishing redfish in that area of Florida in mid February? Fly/gear recommendations? The Florida saltwater scene is all new to me.

Post subject: Re: Redfish?
PostPosted: January 8th, 2020, 6:26 pm 

On the Gulf Coast, flies you'd use for crab-eating stripers on the mud or sand flats worked for red fish. Small clousers, crab patterns, maybe some larger sizes of bonefish-style flies.

For the sea trout and ladyfish and jacks it was more baitfish patterns, especially clousers.

PS You gonna bring that boat home? You could just run it up the coast in a week or so. :lol:

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 3:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
PS You gonna bring that boat home? You could just run it up the coast in a week or so. :lol:

That's an open ended question. Competing interests for the boat scuttled earlier efforts to turn the bow north. We shall see.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 7:36 pm 
FFIMer

I fished the Indian river Lagoon with a guide 3 years ago by the name of Willy Le. Caught sea trout and snook and missed a few sharks and lost a nice red. He provided flies that used rabbit strip tails and had a head woven with EP fibers and big eyes on them. the most effective colors seemed to be dark purple or black. the overall size of the fly was no more than 2 inches ( wish I took a picture) from what he said they were a mix of a couple of different patterns.
Later my brother and I headed down to Sebastien inlet state park and fished it on foot with fly rods. plenty of fish like Jacks, bluefish, etc. The old standby clouser in your typical chartreuse and white was the most consistent fly there that I had in my box.