FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 25th, 2020, 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Messy Flies
PostPosted: January 7th, 2020, 10:20 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

I’m heading out to my favorite river in the world......the Missouri.......this late July, and was down in the tying room at the vise tying up some Corn Fed Caddis ( Black) in 16’s and 18’s these last few days.

I thought to myself that these things work like a charm, as the last time a bunch of us were on the MO it was our “go to” Caddis pattern, but they really are what I call a messy fly. They just don’t look like the flies I like to tie up. Tight, every wrap of fibers and thread exactly where it should be, z-Lon tails high and tight to the hook shank, etc.

These flies have CDC fibers flowing every which way but loose. They don’t look like a well tied EHC, LaFontaine Sparkle Caddis, Roman Moser Bubble Caddis, etc. They just look like they’re poorly tied......which may be exactly why they’re so damned effective on picky trout.......and the beasts of the MO can be darn picky at times.

When I’m heading out in late July is Trico time in the mornings.......but Caddis in 5he evenings. (Along with a smattering of PED’s if you’re lucky).

I tie these Corn Fed’s in black and Gray, and both work very well. I think it’s what I’ll be tying at Mikes Tie & Lie this coming Saturday ( weather permitting, of course). They certainly don’t look like much......but they work gang-busters, and I guess that’s the bottom line. I really do like my completed flies to look like they’re tied by somebody that looks like they know what they’re doing......and, frankly, these sometimes.....if not most times......don’t, but when a 22” hot Bow slurps them down and heads out into the main river that’s almost 300 yards wide at this point, and you’re 100 yards into your backing already, and wondering if you have enough backing on that spool.......having a messy fly is worth the embarrassment.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Messy Flies
PostPosted: January 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave-

Just curious- are you using the Petijean Magic Tool, SwissCDC multi-clamp, Stonfo material clip, a generic binder clip, or ??? when making the cdc dubbing loop? I've seen a bunch of different methods- including just using a foam block with a slit cut in it to handle cdc dubbing loops and I'm curious what others are using.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2020, 12:39 pm 
FFIMer

I had to look that up and watched a video of someone tying it. Great looking Caddis but maybe beyond my tying skill level. I look forward to watching you tie it at the Tie & Lie.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

David......

I don’t have any of those tools. I use the other method of tying the fly as per the instructions, then just winding on another CDC feather soft hackle style. The barbs are usually way too long, so I just use my thumb to break them off to the appropriate length. I tried putting the cdc fibers in a dubbing loop when I first started tying this fly, and it looked like something a cat barfed up.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2020, 6:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I brought back my weight in CDC from France, and really enjoyed the petijean book and tool. Again, I've got more trout flies than I'll ever need, but it was a cool new way to tie, and the flies were my best producers on the the streams in France.

What I like about his tools, which could be easily created at home with a few odds and ends, is that you get the benefit of 2x the fibers, per wrap, and you're wrapping with thread... assuming you're using the XL CDC feathers. Splitting 70 den Danville wasn't easy either... Winding the little ones like hackle was a chaff for me... I found them to be even more fickle than starling, which is simply the worst (but I love it).

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 8th, 2020, 10:52 am 
FFIM Addict

I actually just ordered one of those Stonfo clips to try it out.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 3:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

Let us know ho your like it Dave.