FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 21st, 2020, 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 8:43 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I know you can buy inexpensive equipment and the inexpensive equipment of today is really pretty darn good for the most part but dam, the cost of lures is crazy! My 12 year nephew is getting into fishing so for XMAS, I figured I’d buy him some of the classic Rapala lures. Holy crap, they are $10-12 each! When did that happen? He’s past the worm and bobber stage and so how on earth does a kid get into fishing these days with the cost of lures like that? Yeah, there are some $3-$4 versions but $11? I’m climbing the tree to get that back! Thank goodness for flyshack.com and $.60 flies.

Ken

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 9:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

It’s not just fishing, it’s everything. It’s hard to get serious in multiple sports nowadays as the quality gear or even the necessities are outrageous. It’s everywhere. Cheap ammo, $20 bucks a box, flouro tippet, quality rain jacket, etc

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 9:47 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I believe there was an additional 10% tariff on most fishing imports from China so I’m sure that got passed right on to us.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 11:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

Wait for him to want a bass boat. Then all the extra gear, 5-10 rods, boxes of lures, the fancy foot pedal for the trolling motor, the electronics, then the truck with the matching paint job.
Makes a fly fishing set-up pretty cheap way of fishing.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 24th, 2019, 8:32 am 
FFIM Addict

Ron is right. I was talking with a couple of my wife’s sons friends last spring. They’re Bass guys, and want to join the Maine ( not national) Bass Tournament tour. Both were/are just out of college, working first jobs........and buying $70,000 Bass Boats and $60,000 tricked out pickups to pull them. I thought to myself Yikes!

Really looks like my $900 Winston’s and $500 waders look like chump change.......eh?

And, again, as Ron pointed out......just think what 10 Graphite sticks with matching level wind reels......and a suitcase full of $12 lures would set you back.

Compared to many other sports flyfishing really isn’t that expensive at all.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 24th, 2019, 11:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

Formerly Larvae wrote:
It’s not just fishing, it’s everything. It’s hard to get serious in multiple sports nowadays as the quality gear or even the necessities are outrageous. It’s everywhere. Cheap ammo, $20 bucks a box, flouro tippet, quality rain jacket, etc

Yes it is (everywhere). $200 hockey sticks, $900 surfboards, $8000 bicycles, $120 lift tickets - it's everywhere. For me, I'm not talented enough to really benefit from the advances in the upper end in most of this stuff. For instance, I'm not going to be much faster on a $8000 bike than a $3000 bike; I'm not going to cast that much further or accurate with a $900 fly rod than I would a $300 rod; I won't surf any better on a $800 board vs. a $400 board. It's not the rod that sucks - it's my casting stroke! I think every sport has "better" (often times THAT is debatable), upper end merchandise - it's your choice whether you buy it - or not.

Last edited by Salmosebago on December 26th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2019, 2:21 pm 
FFIMer

Attachment:
vest.jpg
vest.jpg [ 8.2 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

As long as you are not wearing a tie and vest, it is not an elitist sport

Attachments:
amff5.jpg
amff5.jpg [ 96.75 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

PostPosted: December 27th, 2019, 9:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

It is everything, and it’s not elitism to indulge yourself.
My two favorite hobbies are FF and snowboarding, both outrageously expensive (new Burton boots just eliminated $500 from my bank account). And the more I do both, the more I want to travel to new areas for both. Which for me means going out west. Plane tix, housing, rental vehicles, etc.
I’m also old enough to know it’s all going to end all too soon. So my adopted motto is work hard, play harder. Money spent on hobbies is money very well spent. Swallow the bitter pill of expense and reap the rewards of exhilarating experience. Life is way too damn short, and a tree might fall on your head tomorrow.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2019, 9:37 am 
FFIM Addict

Well........I don’t know about the vest, but when I was still teaching often I would scream out of school, while still wearing my tie, and head up to a certain pond in the Eustis area to get in an hour or so before dinner.

Coming into the lodge still wearing nice pants and a shirt and tie I’d often get some strange looks, but getting in an hour or so before dinner was worth the looks.

Certainly didn’t make me an elitist, though. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: December 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I did some suit and tie fishing when I was on the road selling conveyor belt and rubber supplies to the paper mills. Great Northern in Millinocket and Georgia Pacific in Woodland were customers.

Evenings in Millinocket I'd run out to the West Branch and I'd take time to change. When in Woodland I'd run over to Grand Lake Stream and I'd take time to change. But often for lunch, I'd be in Woodland and run down to the Moosehorn U.S. Fish and Wildlife refuge and fish through an extended lunch hour.

If it was cool I wouldn't even take off my sport coat and there I'd be standing on the bank with coat and tie fishing away. Even caught some.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2019, 10:03 am 
FFIM-aholic

maineangler wrote:
It is everything, and it’s not elitism to indulge yourself.
My two favorite hobbies are FF and snowboarding, both outrageously expensive (new Burton boots just eliminated $500 from my bank account). And the more I do both, the more I want to travel to new areas for both. Which for me means going out west. Plane tix, housing, rental vehicles, etc.
I’m also old enough to know it’s all going to end all too soon. So my adopted motto is work hard, play harder. Money spent on hobbies is money very well spent. Swallow the bitter pill of expense and reap the rewards of exhilarating experience. Life is way too damn short, and a tree might fall on your head tomorrow.

This - well said and I'm in the same stage. UT the end of March has become an annual trip, now that our son is living in Salt Lake. Long days, beautiful sunshine and mild temps, ridiculous amounts of "the best snow in the world", and killer hatches of small bugs on the Provo. It's damn close to heaven!

PostPosted: December 29th, 2019, 11:29 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I think it is more to do with the history and origin of fly fishing that has lead to its conception of an elitist sport. Tweeds, rod fees, ties and scaly caps don’t harken images of the populous. That said, any sport imaginable, has spectrums Of indulgence, right down to the kid who brought a carbon fiber bat to tee ball. Same goes for golf, skiing, sailing, tennis, etc. I believe that good gear makes a difference in effectiveness and comfort, and I invest more heavily in the latter.

However, to MaineAnglers point... it is that which we do with it, that will bring a smile to our face after we can use these tools no longer. I caught my first bonefish, in a while sand flat on a $35 7wt. I caught a n Arctic char on a $40 8wt blank. I have caught trout all over the place on a sage XL and TFO rod. The place and experience is where I choose to invest more than the gear. That said, I have good cloths thst keep me warm and dry.

So, this is my ethos, but I don’t judge those who find rods, reels, lines, etc as their reward for the hard work put in to buy them... the same for seeing a glittery 16’ bass boat with a 250 hp engine on it on 95 north. To each their own.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau