FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 25th, 2020, 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T......but not really
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Yeah, this isn’t about a new rod, reel, line, or fly, but it certainly affects your flyfishing in early spring, late fall, or winter.

I often see guys, and to a lesser extent, gals, wearing blue jeans under their breathable waders......Which, in effect, cancels out the breathability of their gore-Tex waders.

A friend introduced me to Omni-Heat breathable underwader wear. It’s a product of Colombia manufacturing ( Absolutely no affiliation with the company, fwiw); and this stuff is just the proverbial “cat’s ass”.

The long johns, turtlenecks, and fleece jackets have a membrane very similar to space blankets, with holes to let sweat escape to the outer layers. It keeps you warm by your own body heat being reflected back at you. I wear this stuff not only fishing.......but winter walking and running.

I’ve worn Simms underwater wear, and the old stuff that pilled up ( and stunk like the dickens), but this stuff is *much* better.

Again, let me be clear......I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company, but if you want to be warm, and dry, and very comfortable while flyfishing, give this stuff a try. I seriously doubt you’d be disappointed.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 12:25 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I’m a Smartwool fan for under layers. I fished the Pere Marquette two weeks ago with my summer waders...two Smartwool layers and fished for three hours in mid thigh waters and was totally fine. My feet on the other hand took 60 minutes to defrost. One of our product developers for Wolverine boots told me about a new blue tooth boot I insole they are looking at. You regulate the temp in your boots via your phone. In the testing phase now but hoping to get a pair to test in my waging boots.

Ken

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 12:55 pm 
FFIMer

Sounds interesting but having some difficulty tracking it down. Do you have a link to the product? Thanks.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 1:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I know I replace more than one pair of waders that didn't leak but those cotton jeans were so wet the customers just knew there had to be a leak. Nothing seems to hold moisture (sweat) like cotton.
Almost anything is better than jeans but I'm often guilty of wearing them under waders myself. Even cheap quick-dry hiking pants that aren't really durable enough for real hiking work better than jeans under waders when it comes to wicking moisture away so the waders can breathe.

Tinsnip - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=omni-heat&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 2:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

Marino wool long johns under simms cold weather wader pants.. I have medium weight and heavy weight wool long johns depending on how cold it is. Although generally the medium are plenty as I generally only wade at not much colder than 28* as iced guides and me don't make for a fun outing. As for socks Ken, straight rag wool generally are plenty. I have one pair of red rag Fox brand that gets the call. I think the red denotes heat vs.other colors. my feet seem to believe that and that's what matters. But if calling your feet for a chat...who am I to judge a nasty mean wolverine.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 9:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Marino wool long johns under simms cold weather wader pants.. I have medium weight and heavy weight wool long johns depending on how cold it is. Although generally the medium are plenty as I generally only wade at not much colder than 28* as iced guides and me don't make for a fun outing. As for socks Ken, straight rag wool generally are plenty. I have one pair of red rag Fox brand that gets the call. I think the red denotes heat vs.other colors. my feet seem to believe that and that's what matters. But if calling your feet for a chat...who am I to judge a nasty mean wolverine.

Ron

Pretty hard to beat merino wool as a base/mid layer. The cost makes you want to puke, but the performance can’t be beat. You look at the layers, and you can almost see through some of them, but boy are they warm and always dry.

As for socks I switched over to the VT Darn tough. Again, pricey buy the quality, warranty, and length of service is hard to beat.