[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Erasable Marker

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 2nd, 2020, 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Erasable Marker
PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 8:55 am 
FFIMer

Still on my learner's permit as far as tying goes and figuring out ways to organize material. I bought a nifty plastic box to hold hooks and realized I needed some simple way to label the compartments. To make a long story short—the wife bought a set of these wine glass marking pens at Bed, Bath & Beyond to use at a Christmas party we held over the weekend and I tried them on my new plastic box. Bingo! The stuff is legible and it does indeed wash off with a sponge. My guess is that it will remain permanent under normal use but when you want to change the content name, simply sponge it and start over.

Attachments:
wine_pen.jpg
wine_pen.jpg [ 158.1 KiB | Viewed 668 times ]

Post subject: Re: Erasable Marker
PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 5:09 pm 
FFIMer

I suspect that the reason it is erasable on glass is that it is a "non-porous" surface. Anyway, it may not be erasable on the plastic box. I use a p-touch label machine on my hook box. They are easy to read and are semi-permanent as they stick until pulled off.

Yes, I know that many physicists believe that glass is actually a slow moving liquid, but that is a discussion for learned people in corduroy jackets with leather elbows, pipes, and chalk dust covered hair.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 5:22 pm 
FFIMer

It does wash off the plastic. I probably should have taken another photo and shown the "before" and "after" but got lazy. It seems to work just fine.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 10:33 pm 

If you get serious about the tying, you'll figure out which hooks you use a lot and start buying them in lots of 100 or more. At that point you won't worry about the labels being temporary.

Or like, me, you will never organize hooks, and have them in an incomprehensible filing system that consists of multiple ziplock bags. If I want to find, say, a Tiemco 2487, you'll find them in the gallon sized bag labeled "Dry Fly Hooks", in a quart sized bag labeled "Curved Shank", in a sandwich sized bag labeled "Short Shank", in a snack bag labeled "Tiemco 2487", within with are 25 packs of them in sizes 10-22.

This is not a system I recommend, so figure out something with the organizers that works for you.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 11:13 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, you are closer to my ultimate truth than I care to admit at this early stage. This post is like some sort of signpost in the sand that I know full well will someday be embarrassing. Good intentions, etc.

Of course the other alternative is to simply tie everything on the same hook but in just 3 different sizes. Tempting.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 8:33 am 
FFIM Addict

I use what’s called a “ Hook Hotel” .

It uses five plastic boxes just like the one you showed, stowed horizontally. Twenty slots each, of dry flies, wet fly/ Nymphs, curved emerger hooks, streamer hooks, and stainless salt hooks. Each slot is labeled with the hook brand ( Tiemco/ Daiichi/ etc) and style. It is a bit pricy, but works perfectly. Using Jeff’s system would drive me insane, fwiw. We all have our styles, and what works for us.

Tiemco, apparently, no longer sells hooks in 100 pack boxes, but now packages five packs of hooks together in 125 packs.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 10:34 am 
FFIMer

I've given up on trying to use those plastic organizers, mostly because I suck at organizing. I have one that I wrote on with Sharpie, and over the years the Sharpie has worn off and I'm left with a bunch of hooks that i dont remember what they are. I'm just trying to use them up so I can get rid of the box.
I got an eight drawer wooded cabinet a couple years ago and put all my tying stuff in it. Top drawer is mostly hooks, just loose floating about in their original package. In with them are tying tools and a bunch of miscellaneous crap. Once I use up my random box of hooks I think I'll just be keeping them in the original package.

Peter