[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - When you feel you REALLY want to catch a trout.....

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 2nd, 2020, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 9:42 am 
FFIM Addict

.......what are the flies that almost never fail you? I was pondering this the other day when I was down in my tying room and tying up a bunch of Egg Sucking Flash-A-Buggers to replenish the empty slots in my streamer box. Some spots virtually never get emptied ( and soon I’m going through that streamer box.......like I did last year with my Nymph box.......and remove those that sit in their slots year after year, and almost never get tied to the end of the tippet.

Mayfly Dries: Sparkle Duns/ComparaDuns/Duck Butt Duns

Caddis Dries: LaFontaines Emergent Sparkle Caddis

Midge Pupa’s: Zebra Midge

Nymph: Pheasant Tail ( usually Troth’s US version, occasionally Sawyers British version)

Streamer: Flash-A-Bugger ( either with a large bead, or cone head)

If those don’t work either your presentation sucks ( “ It ain’t the fly......you suck”. ;-). Or you’re fishing over rocks, not trout.

How about you guys? My Christmas shopping is done, and my wife won’t let me get near any wrapping paper........so the tying vise is heating up there days.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 3:14 pm 

When I really need a trout, it’s all about location (and timing). And at most of those spots, the fly does not matter, as long as it’s an orange muddler sized appropriately for the water in question. Same answer in the salt— but with a Ray’s fly, flat wing.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 3:37 pm 
FFIMer

Never fails? Alas, it’s painful to admit but I’ve been skunked. On those occasions I don’t blame anyone but myself.

If I had to choose ones that have provided a higher percentage over time, it would come down to two, one for moving water and one for ponds. A small elk hair caddies fished under on the swing for rivers/streams and (surprising even to me) a wooly worm in ponds. Those are based on all of those times there’s nothing showing and I can’t make them look up.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 7:37 pm 

Woolly Bugger - best fly ever, like Sex Panther Cologne, "66% of the time, it works every time!"
No truly wild Maine brookie in his right mind can resist a WB.
Like Dave said, if a WB doesn't work, there are no fish there or you're doing something wrong.
One of the many beauties of the WB is that it catches fish from March til December - the only time is doesn't work is when there's a hatch and fish are keying on a specific insect - and that doesn't happen often in my world.
I'm also a huge fan of the PT and a deer hair caddis.
Up in Canada one of my favorites is a size 4 Royal Wulff - if there are any brookies in the area, they will literally come out of the woodwork and try to kill each other to get that fly!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2019, 11:06 am 

PostPosted: December 16th, 2019, 12:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Slight alteration on the wooly bugger- The Thin Mint. My go to fly from November 1-May 15 in Maine. I am tying them on jig hooks now which is cutting down on my fly losses ( some- the Mousam at low tide is a fly eating piece of water).

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 11:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

Brown biot stonefly nymph
cdc caddis
Hatches emerging pupa
Magalloway belle
White softhackle streamer (unweighted, red head, sinking line)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 10:27 am 
FFIMer

Pheasant Tail
Micro Maddison Midge
I dont use a WB much unless it's a golden retriever, and that is killer.
And Tim, change that white SHS to tan and it's pretty much the only streamer I use.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 12:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Tan, huh?

Interesting... i unfortunately lock into colors that I mostly find appealing.... and tan isn't one of them, but perhaps I should broaden my horizons

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 9:18 pm 
FFIMer

Yeah, I used to tie white, olive, and black... now only tan. I should probably also broaden my horizons....

The tan looks surprisingly smelty in the water.

Peter

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 10:35 pm 

An old fishing buddy used to only fish the "tan and grey" when streamer fishing. Tan chenille body on a 6X long hook. Grey marabou wing.

He caught a lot of fish.