[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Hackle pliers

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 2nd, 2020, 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hackle pliers
PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 10:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know we fly tiers are a lot like crows, attracted to shiny new objects or even dull ones. You can have some that work very well for you, then as your trying to finish that pattern you know every trout will key on and your winding that last turn of hackle and either the hackle slips from the jaws or is cut and all your hard work spins loosely around the head of "the" fly.
Of course it's the pliers fault so off you go through the catalogs or into the interspere looking for that ideal tool.

Let's see, I have numerous "English" style in various sizes and jaws with and without padding. Then there are the handled rotating head pliers. Oh and the plunger electrical circuit tester clips, that work so great for holding clumps of material like poly strands for wings and zelon for tails, plus to hold hooks for barb mashing in my Regal vise or for tying on that midge fly, that I just ordered a bag of a dozen and a half. Your fingers can work if say your tying in strung hackle. My latest, a Tyflyz Toolz Hackle Twister, which I watched a tier using at the Fly Tyers Symposium. Used tonight. I was tying up some #20 Griffiths Gnat Emergers. One I had maybe 3/4" of grizzly hackle left to tie in.It worked fantastic. And it'll be great until a stem slips and/or breaks and I'll be on a search again.

How many types do you have?

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Hackle pliers
PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 8:39 am 
FFIM Addict

I have the old English style.......the teardrop style.......and my current favorite, a style that looks like a capital letter D. I’m not even sure what they’re called, or who made them, but as far as Hackle pliers go......They actually work.

Truthfully, though, using Hackle I usually use Whiting saddles, which are so long that Hackle pliers are superfluous.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 10:49 am 
FFIM Addict

I've used different hackle pliers over the years, but like Dave M- I mainly use my fingers due to the hackle I use. But when you need a pair of hackle pliers- you need them. I think I have about every style of hackle pliers going. I use them mostly for holding dubbing loops, peacock herl ropes, etc... than for anything else.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

I don't own any hackle clips/pliers...never use them. I do wish someone would make threaders that don't bend! And, how does one get the wax out of ceramic bobbins?

Hutch

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 7:03 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hackle pliers - I have dozen of them - easy. Probably more. The ones I reach for are the Griffin Rotary Hackle Pliers. They grip well when I'm wrapping I don't have to pass them from hand-to-hand I just wrap. And I know some people can put their finger into the loop of the English or Teardrop they can rotate around their finger and they wrap without passing them hand-to-hand. I never could get that down.

Hutch - if you can't find something to ram through the tube - how about putting them in hot or for that matter boiling water. Wax should melt and float to the top. 212 degrees shouldn't melt anything but wax.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 11:15 am 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 11:28 am 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 6:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

" I do wish someone would make threaders that don't bend! And, how does one get the wax out of ceramic bobbins? I do wish someone would make threaders that don't bend! And, how does one get the wax out of ceramic bobbins? "

I still use the thin metal ones. Last week a plug of wax popped out as I was rethreading. If you don't want to leave wax in a pan tie a figure-eight knot in some tippet and draw it through to pull it out. Or cut a small piece of cotton butchers twine and separate a strand that would fit soaked in alcohol and drawn back and forth through the tube.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Actually if Dave D. was using his "D" shaped pliers at the Tie and Lie that was where I saw the "Tyflyz Toolz Hackle Twister. And that was where I saw them. Great little tool.

Ron

Sir John Buchan