[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - NZ TRIP REPORT

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 2nd, 2020, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NZ TRIP REPORT
PostPosted: December 8th, 2019, 10:03 pm 

It was friggin fantastic thats it id write more cept i broke my rite arm today...more later tight lines

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 2.4 MiB | Viewed 1238 times ]

Post subject: Re: NZ TRIP REPORT
PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 8:01 am 
FFIM-aholic

AAARRGGHHH - heal up! We ARE going to see you at the Festivus party, correct?!? Looking forward to that and the full blown TR!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 2:09 pm 

It would take more than a broken arm to keep me from Festivus! See you there!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 2:25 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ouch, but now I want to go to NZ again....

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 9:11 pm 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm 
FFIMer

Hey Brian,

You’re making me crazy with all these trips. Put the Catskills on your calendar for a few days next spring and let me show you around. Guarantee you’ll like it.

Andre

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 11:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 10:06 pm 
FFIMer

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 10:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Oh my heavens it's gonna be one great trip down to festivus, a trip to the grocery store with Brian would be a adventure. really looking fwd to seein you guys , I'm takin a crash EMT/rock climbing course tomorrow. this is the way to fly!! Don

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 9:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 3:04 pm 

Thank you Andre, you're definitely on my bucket list!

FWIW, I'll share a few details of my trip now. Like I mentioned before it was an absolutely fantastic trip that I would recommend to anybody who doesn't mind fishing to non-native trout. New Zealand has so much to recommend that I could go on forever. A guy could spend an entire winter, which is their summer, fishing and hiking and camping, virtually for free, and never even scratch the surface of the opportunities.

My brother and I spent 10 days on a sheep ranch (station) as our base of operations and made a rigorous three day trip up into the national park to some virtually unfished waters and then we made two day trips into adjacent watersheds. The weather was near perfect, down in the 50s during the night and mainly mid 70s during the day. We only had two rain showers our entire visit. The stream beds consisted mainly of sandy limestone boulders & ledges, that absolutely ate even flourocarbon tippet. The fishing was steady with us landing between zero and 10 fish a day and probably breaking off or losing six or seven fish a day. Most of the time we were nymphing with 2 nymph rigs and indicators. Each night we went down to a nearby glide and fished the evening rise. At those times we would use small soft tackle flies and would usually end up catching one or two fish. One nite up in the NP I broke off a huge rainbow - the next nite the only fish I caught was that same trout & I got my fly back! All of the fish we caught were amazingly strong and fit and probably averaged around 4-5 pounds each. They would about shake your tired arm off when you finally got them into your net! It was very unusual to catch a fish as small as 16 inches. During our last moments together on the river, my brother and I were sharing a pool where I hooked my largest Brown of the trip - he was there to net it for me just like he was over half a century ago when I caught my very first fish - it was so cool...

For equipment I used a 9 foot 4 weight rod, WF floating line and a 9 foot leader tapered down to 3X, which ended up being too light. 2X tippet is the very lightest I would ever use down there again due to all the break offs. Once again I can't say enough good things about my Orvis Clearwater rod. With the $198 price tag and the Orvis lifetime warranty, I have a hard time imagining a better rod value. The only piece of equipment either of us used that was notably awful were the Sims Alumi-bite cleats my brother had. The contact surface of these cleats are flat, polished aluminum which provide no traction whatsoever. Also they are set into the tread of the boot in such a way that they prevent the rubber tread of the boot from contacting the substrate. The $6 box of aluminum pan head screws I used were far and away superior. The other piece of equipment I was pleasantly impressed with was our Toyota Camry hybrid rental car. It's a very good car to be driving in a place where gas is as much as 6.90 a gallon. The only thing we didn't like about it was the auto lock feature on the doors, which nearly drove us crazy.

One of the exceptional aspects of this trip was the degree of New Zealand culture we got to experience. On the sheep station, for a roommate, we had a government contract goat hunter. He had some incredible hunting stories to tell and offered us a great deal of insight into his country. We also befriended a crazy old coot, who lived down by the river in a shack. We spent a few evenings sharing beers with him and had a lot of laughs and learned a lot about all kinds of things New Zealand. I also experienced my first earthquake. I am by no means an expert on New Zealand but I believe, having made three trips down there, that I could be a useful resource to someone considering heading that way. Kia Ora and tight lines!

Attachments:
River Bluff.JPG
River Bluff.JPG [ 71.77 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]
Lake.JPG
Lake.JPG [ 60.49 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]
River Mt.JPG
River Mt.JPG [ 83.67 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]
Quentin.JPG
Quentin.JPG [ 101.99 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG [ 513.77 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]
Gorge 1.JPG