FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 21st, 2020, 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 11:49 am 

I am in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. Like many of you, I have reached the age at which magnifying glasses are a necessity for flies smaller than about #14, and for any flies in poor light.

I'm a constant loser of reading glasses, and I hate standing in the stream trying to tie on a fly with a lanyard, sunglasses, and reading glasses all hanging around my neck. Instant macrame project every time.

These look interesting, but are pricey. Has anyone tried them or something similar? Pros and Cons?

My current sunglasses are Costas and I love them.

[url]
https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/men/s ... er&start=2[/url]

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 12:03 pm 
FFIMer

Can't comment on the product you mention. However, a friend who has perfect distance vision uses the one-contact-lens method which allows her to use cheapo sunglasses and still see close up. A quick search turned up this guy who can explain the concept better: https://www.louisvillelaser.com/uncateg ... ng-glasses

You'd still need an exam and fitting from an optometrist, but if it works it might be worth the investment.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 4:40 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff I can't say I've used these glasses, but I've used this type of glasses for work. The problem is walking etc with the bi focals, it can throw you off. Forget going down a ladder, its touchy feely for the step for me anyways. I use Clic glasses now, but the glasses that swing down from your visor work pretty good also.
I put the sunglasses on a lanyard and the Clic's around my neck. It's worked well for me and keeps the glasses from scratching each other. I worked two fishing shows last winter and the same booth was beside us at both shows. He sold so many pairs of those Clics I bought a pair myself. They are very handy. They also have a sale going on now.
If you want I could send you a pair of the glasses I used at work to walk around with.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 5:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yeah....I have no experience with the afore mentioned Costas, but like Bill I wear my Maui Jim’s on a lanyard and have Clics around my neck. No issues there, and that system works well, fwiw. A helluva lot cheaper, too, if you already have polarized sunglasses.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff - I have those same exact sunglasses/readers. No Cons at all. Optical quality is fantastic.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, Google "Boomers in the know" Lots of nice sunglasses and bifocals $20.bucks or so. You can buy several pair. They work just fine for me. If I break or loose a pair it's not the end of the world.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2019, 8:02 am 
FFIMer

Ditto on the sunglasses on a lanyard and clics. Tried the bifocal route and its too dangerous walking.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2019, 10:40 am 
FFIMer

Lane S wrote:
Tried the bifocal route and its too dangerous walking.

I had the Orvis bifocals. Used them once and returned them. Like others have said, downright dangerous walking/wading.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2019, 12:37 pm 
FFIMer

I have used "stickon" bifocals with some success. I put the mags on the top of the glasses, not the bottom so that I can see to walk. If I need the mags I slide the glasses down and peer through the top. They certainly are not the best quality and I do lose them on occasion, but they are cheap. So with an inexpensive pair of polarized glasses and the stickons I am able to get the mag I need while still being able to walk for small money. Here is a link: Amazon, but they are also on ebay too:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Magnify ... NrPXRydWU=

You can pick your needed mag

PostPosted: December 7th, 2019, 6:53 pm 
FFIMer

The "Boomers in the Know" sunglasses I use have the small magnifiers inserted in the bottom of the lens and don't seem to get in my way.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2019, 9:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

hatch wrote:
The "Boomers in the Know" sunglasses I use have the small magnifiers inserted in the bottom of the lens and don't seem to get in my way.

This. I found a pair at Beans outlet years ago - dirt cheap. The first few times I wore them, I wanted to toss them in the river. Took me a while to learn to not look down through the lenses while walking - felt like I had a few beers in me (which I didn't!). Love them now!