FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The obligatory........
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2019, 12:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

.......Tying in the storm post.

If you know me at all you know I’m really not a streamer guy. As a matter of fact, I’ll usually tie on a streamer as a last resort if everything else has failed. Now I carry a streamer box stuffed to the gills with just about every type of streamer known to man, except Carrie Stevens type featherwings. I just don’t fish them......or tie them, for that matter.

This morning I spent a good tying session just prepping hooks.......and didn’t tie a single streamer.

The hook I use on my Gartside Soft Hackle Streamers is a #4 Mustad 9672 ( usually.....sometimes a TMC 300). I tied on the largest olive bead I have for the Olive Soft Hackles.......and a fluorescent orange large bead for the Egg Sucking Leech Soft Hackles........along with about 25 wraps of .020 lead free wire.......superglued. Those suckers sink NOW. If I’m not mistaken these are the flies that Brian Foley was using so successfully last spring.

The other pattern I prepped was a Tiemco 200 #6 with large silver dumbbells and l
Yellow eyes with black pupils.......
Tied on much farther back along the hook shank than typically seen on commercial ties. I was watching Bob Clouser tie at a show one time, and that was the way he was placing on his eyes. I asked him about it, and he said flat out that almost all commercially tied Clousers are tied incorrectly......and he took a piece of paper and drew for me a diagram of where to correctly place the dumbbell eyes. That must have been close to 30 years ago, and I’ve tied them his way ever since.

These will be brown over gold flash over flour. Orange, and it imitates a Crawdad quite convincingly.......at least the trout and Landlocks think so.

Keep those vises hot. ;-)

Dave M

PS: Getting close to time to get the snowblower cranked up for its initial run this winter.
PPS: I really should get out that streamer box and start culling out flies that I haven’t used in twenty ( or more) years. I might have tied up one I saw written about in Fly Tyer, or some other magazine, or saw a video on youtube, and in all probability have never even tied to a tippet. No wonder that damn box weighs what feels like pounds. Probably that’s why my vest/pack weighs way too many pounds.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2019, 8:08 pm 
FFIMer

As for streamers, I do pretty much the same thing. I have a box that I always carry and it's packed with big feathers and long hooks. And, like you, it's always (always) the last resort.

Two caveats:

A) I had an experience on the Dead where we reached the end of our patience and decided to tie on what we both felt was the least-likely-to-succeed fly we had. I chose a red and white bucktail streamer tied by somebody back in 1960-something. My fishing buddy picked a similar orange and white thingy that looked bigger than my dog. We both started catching fish on the first cast with those streamers—nice fish. The action didn't stop until we'd cleared the pool. So suddenly I have more respect.

And B) I tend to lump Wooly Buggers into the streamer category. Or at least they're in the same box. Say what you want about them, the darn things can be very productive. The purest in me feels like I've secretly tied on a Mepps Bucktail Spinner or something, but when there's nobody around... I use them and catch fish. There, I said it.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 9:32 am 
FFIM-aholic

I must confess that we're into the deep woods of the "busy years" with the kids, so my fishing and tying has taken the hit. Combined with my Doomsday Prepper inventory that I brought to France, I'm not sure I'll NEED (still want) to walk through the door of a fly shop for many years to come. With less fishing days, and obscenely stocked boxes, I have enough of my standard trout flies to last for the next several seasons.

That said, my 7 year old son, is keeping my seat warm. he is at the point now that he can go end to end on most flies, and with a little "fear of God" speech, I've turned him lose on my tying materials to do with as he wishes. He's taking it seriously, he knows the "special feathers" (jungle cock, exotic pheasants, wood duck) where he asks for help, but he concienciously manages the chicken, turkey, bucktail, etc and is having a ball.

I chuckled when Dave noted that he has no interest in featherwings. It is the first thing my little guy ties... likely because my tying space is adorned with the Carrie Stevens collection I tied back when they were in diapers and didn't have activities and carpools. He's working on a framed set of featherwings in Christmas colors for Grandpa :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 10:36 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
That said, my 7 year old son, is keeping my seat warm.

7 years old already? Time to get that boy chasing fish on the river next summer. We need to find some flounder and mackerel for him to chase. Maybe a striper too. :)