FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go fishing.....
PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 9:30 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

I was just watching a video on Vimeo of John Gierach. He said something that really resonated with me. He was on an Atlantic Salmon stream up in Canada, and he said “By the time you can afford to do this you’re almost too old to do it”.

He’s right. We spend our life trying ( somewhat desperately at times) to make enough money to live.......and to have a few bucks left over to play at what we enjoy.

Get out there and do it.......
Because if you wait to retire to do what you want to do you might just be too old to do it, or to enjoy it as much as you would if you were younger. As Nike says “ Just ( freaking) do it”.

Not to be too maudlin here.......but I’m at the age where in the last 18 months I’ve lost six good friends from college. None of us are guaranteed our three score and ten. Do it before it’s too late.

Have a wonderful holiday season......and start planning that trip you’ve always dreamed about.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Go fishing.....
PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 10:47 am 
FFIMer

Dave I decided years ago (before retirement) that overtime would be the key to trips. I had a group that wanted to go and that helped along with the Big Dig. I'm still lucky to be able to go thanks to becoming good friends with an outfitter. But your spot on with the age thing, because the hikes I took even 5 years ago are now a job. Fishing till 9:30 ~10 at night just isn't there. Sitting back looking at the stars with a cold beer usually wins out. So there is a lot of truth to John's saying. I was very lucky to have OT available and a wife that knew what those trips meant to me. I took my son a couple of times and he ended up having the world record Brookie junior division for a couple of years. Priceless memories!!!!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm 
FFIMer

I agree 100%. Although, I might open the intent of your subject line beyond those trips that are far away and cost a fortune. I’ve been lucky to have had a few of those trips to Alaska, Montana, Labrador, etc. I haven’t given up on going back to some of them and agree it’s never too early to plan them.

But, in the past few years I’ve discovered some wonderful fishing right here in Maine. Therefore, I humbly suggest that “Go Fishing” can include the exploration and discovery that can be had here at home. In some perverse way, planning 10 days in some other time zone can seem easier than getting in the truck and driving 2 hours to a river you’ve heard of but never fished. Right here in Maine.

At this point in my life I would be honored to be included in the group of “old guys” who know where and how to find Maine’s wild fish. Don’t forget that to many, Maine is one of the fishing destinations they dream about.

All of this is not in disagreement with your sentiment. Maybe just an extension of the idea to get out there and fish. Time’s a wasting!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 4:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

It is worth saying again, that what we have in our own back yard is a destination for many. But I have been lucky to see a lot of water in far flung lands, many more to go on the list, but it doesn’t have to be salmon lodges and float planes either. However, the advice I do give is to be effective and diversified in your methods, so as to maximize the opportunities when they present themselves.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 9:17 pm 
FFIMer

I’ve been a strong proponent of this philosophy since being diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004. You can’t take it with you! I’ve been doing Bristol Bay float trips, sometimes two, every year since 2010. Try it, you’ll like it!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2019, 12:51 pm 
FFIMer

I'm a firm believer that the good old days are now. I'm 55 years old and spoiled, as I was weaned on flyfishing in Western Maine and for the last 25 years have lived in Montana. Sure, I don't fish Alaska or Kamchatka but even after 25 years out here I have the opportunity to explore and discover new waters every year. My belief is that the same fresh and new opportunities are available in Maine, NH and Vt.

At the same time, through hard earning, saving and frugal living we purchased a cottage in the Big Bend area of FLA. No, it's not in the area of many bull reds like Louisiana, nor on the flats of the Bahamas but there is plenty of good fishing for a wide variety of ocean fish with only 30,000 of the 22 million Floridians in the vicinity. It's the in the heart of a coastal refuge that is 100+ miles long and I have barely scratched the surface as I learn how to flyfish the area.

Point being, we Montanans and Mainers have the outdoor experience at our fingertips, read any post by Brian Foley if you doubt it. Expanding your fishing to our affordable coastlines in Me, RI, SC, FLA or most anywhere can be as rewarding as landing that 16" trout on an EHC.

Yep, the good old days are now.