FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 8:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

Here's one that I wrestle with. When you fish a multiple fly rig do you tie the 2nd or 3rd fly onto a dropper tag from a knot, a dropper tag from the bend of the hook before it, a dropper tag from the eye of the hook before it or some other way?

I've been tying a dropper tag to the bend of the first hook and if I tie on a third fly I've been just tying off the bend of the 2nd hook. For quite a few years now. But I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't start using droppers off the leader instead of tying to the bend.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 9:35 am 
FFIM Addict

For a two fly rig I tie the dropper fly off the bend of the hook of the point fly.........but for a three fly rig ( which I fish very infrequently, btw) I tie off the first two flies like above, and the third fly off the tag end of the tippet.......so, if I wasn’t clear......the third fly is actually the fly closest to the fly line.

I do think three fly rigs get messed up WAY more often than two fly rigs do, fwiw.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 12:52 pm 
FFIMer

I swear I replied to his once already. Maybe I wasn’t logged in and it dumped it.

I’m not a fan of 3 on a string either. But I’ll do two.

I think the simplest way is a dropper tied to the bend of the first fly (dry and nymph combo). I have also tried and sometimes like a second fly tied on a short piece of stiff mono that attaches just above the leader-to-tippet knot (wet and nymph combo). The second method has the advantage of holding the first fly (nearest the fly line) away from the tippet below just enough to minimize tangles. But it does take more time to produce.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 7:25 am 
FFIMer

I never fish a 3 fly rig myself, but almost always fish 2.. That is a dry as my point and a emerger or such tied off the bend. When fishing nymphs I do the same.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 9:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

Two flies almost always and right off the bend.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau