FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slots or compartments
PostPosted: November 21st, 2019, 7:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know there is nothing like a fly box with row upon row of neatly and orderly placed fly grouped by pattern, size and color. Any thoughts or preferences. I love the look but my patience runs out before I can get them all arranged and mine never look as nice as others.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm 
FFIMer

I should probably be ashamed of my boxes. And at different times I have felt some actual guilt about their complete lack of organization and style. But... them fish... they just don't care. I might be too old to change.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2019, 11:32 pm 
FFIMer

Try being color blind.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 7:57 am 
FFIM Addict

This is what a snow day/Sunday is for...turn on an old movie, cap a beer, and line up all your flies by color and style in slotted boxes....then, in a . miserly way, stare at them in rap attention to wealth- a richness of flies. On the other hand, I have a friend that has lose boxes, tubs, cans, old metal boxes that rust at the touch, plastic foam boxes...and zip-loc bags of flies- none of which are sorted or sized. It drives me nuts- but HE likes his "system". Gotta love our differences!
Hutch

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 7:58 am 
FFIM Addict

Slots for Nymphs......All my PT’s lined up in rows from 22’s to 12’s......then GRHE’s......then Copper Johns.

For dries......definitely the plastic boxes with square compartments......Either DeWitt or Myran.

For some reason my Nymph box alwYs looks neater than my dry box........but I don’t use the slotted boxes because I don’t want to crush the Hackles of my dries.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 11:07 am 
FFIM-aholic

Back when the shop was open and I was doing weekly postings I wrote about the "Perfect Fly Box" - still haven't found it.

http://www.maineflyfishing.com/010214-worlds-best-fly-box/

I pretty much follow Dave's solution. Slots for nymphs, emerger, parachutes and streamers - almost anything without a dry fly collar.

Some of the smaller dries do alright in slots with foam cut-aways that allow for size 18 and smaller hackle.

The dries with a hackle collar - compartment boxes. Bivisibles, Stimulators, Adams, Dry Hornbergs - all those with crushable hackle.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 11:24 am 
FFIM Addict

Mike Holt wrote:
The dries with a hackle collar - compartment boxes. Bivisibles, Stimulators, Adams, Dry Hornbergs - all those with crushable hackle.

Yeah- but have you found a solution to keep them from blowing out? Perhaps we need a magnetic flybox.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 2:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ha - Don't you hate watching loose flies float away downstream.

Nope, haven't found a cure for that. Did try a magnetic box. It flattened the hackle.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 11:22 am 
FFIM-aholic

Exclusively slots, hate seeing things blow out of compartments. I don’t do much with hackle anymore.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 11:44 am 

Hutch wrote:
I have a friend that has lose boxes, tubs, cans, old metal boxes that rust at the touch, plastic foam boxes...and zip-loc bags of flies- none of which are sorted or sized. It drives me nuts- but HE likes his "system".
Hutch
I'm wondering how Hutch knows what my fly management system looks like when we've never fished together. :)

In all seriousness, I do have tupperware or similar plastic containers that hold several fly categories--big Wulffs and similar attractors in one; Hexes in another. I used to carry the hoppers that way, too, but the annual western trip has made me add an entire box for BIG terrestrials. The little ones--mostly ants and beetles--get carried here in the East, too, so they occupy one end of a dry fly box.

I go with slot boxes for most of the 16 and smaller dry flies. Mine are mostly parachutes or have the hackle on the bottom trimmed, so matting hackles is only an issue with the bigger attractors. I try to sort of keep them organized by color, size, and fly style, but a few days of serious fishing will seriously scramble them.

The nymphs go into a single large flat foam box that is seriously stuffed. Once upon a time it was organized more or less in rows with the big stuff (mostly stone flies and attractors) on one side, and sizes 14 and smaller on the other. It's still more or less that way, with a fair amount of random mixed in.

Streamers are in a mish-mash of boxes. One that is mostly buggers and other marabou and bunny strip flies; another that is feather wings. I do try to separate dark marbou and bunny flies from light ones, as the whites and yellows tend to get stained by darker flies. The leeches, if they are smaller, fit in the box with soft hackles and wet flies.

When fishing waters I know well, I will usually start the day by creating a single box that I can keep handy and contains most of what I expect to fish for the day. More than half the time I fish out of that box all day long.