FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Microfibbets
PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 10:35 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

They look very realistic, but of all the tying materials I use frequently these are probably my least favorite.

I was tying up a bunch of Rim Chung’s RS-2’s yesterday, in both PMD and BWO color schemes. You’d think that pattern might just be one of the, if not the, easiest dry fly patterns to tie up. Yeah......except the damn microfibbet tails tend to move out of plane when you start to tie in the body. They just torque out of alinement. I thought #### this........and now tie in the tails of a dozen flies first ( no bodies or wings) and hit the tail tie in point(s) with a bit of Superglue. Those damn tails stay put. Period. No more torquing out of alinement........then tie in the bodies and wings. Mr. Chung uses the fluff from a Dun hen neck for his wing on his.......but I like the floatability of CDC for mine, so that’s how I tie my RS-2’s.

Try that Superglue trick the next time you tie in microfibbet tails on your RS-‘s, or ComparaDuns. I seriously doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Microfibbets
PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 12:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've never really had a problem with microfibbets rolling out of the tie-in plane. How are you tying them on? I'm guessing you're using a small bump of thread to wrap back onto to hold the 'fibbets splayed. Try using a spare scrap of tying thread to separate the 'fibbets. If you tie on the scrap of thread, tie the 'fibbets on, and then part the 'fibbets with the scrap of thread- using tension as you pull forward to set the degree of splay- you can splay the 'fibbets securely and not have issue with them wanting to walk off plane while wrapping the body. Different method, but it works for me.