FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Closer
PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 7:43 am 
FFIM Addict

Every year we gather at the East Outlet for our last fishing trip of the year. We stay at WIlson's and generally have a fine time with a large group. The Ski Lodge sleeps 14, and we came close to filling it over the 3 nights of Veterans Day weekend. Friday, most got there later in the afternoon as they had work, which meant little fishing was done, though 3 of us fished for an hour or so above the RR bridge. This is generally an area of brook trout, and we did manage a few. Cold and windy. Back at the lodge, Gussa was cooking... "Mancaroni" which is mac/cheese that will bind up a terrorist, homemade baked beans, which solve the Mac/cheese...Slaw, and slow cooked ribs- stuffed mushroom caps, and a selection of cheeses w/ crackers. There may have been various libations.

Some went to bed before the next day started-others, not so much.

Saturday it dawns at 19 degrees. Levels at about 1330 CFS. I geared up about 8:30 and we were on the water by 9am. I fished the odd areas- not above the RR bridge, and a wade staff was key for me. The wind was harsh, and ice was in all guides. The flies of record were orange and yellow...but I never used an egg. Soft hackles were key to most fish, though crayfish worked. I didn't get back to camp until 2pm and then only for a warm-up and then back out til dusk. Many of us caught fish, but not in the numbers we have seen. The fish were clearly OFF the beds, and trout were unseen by ALL of us after FRiday. Just salmon, though some were monsters.

Saturday night involved consideration of strippers, booze, sports and poetry writing...not everyone participated in all the list. There were a selection of fishing men who were over served. The food...the food for Saturday night was possibly the best Prime Rib I have ever had, with all the fixings. It is not common for me to have to push back from a good meal before the plate is clear, but this was too much for any of us!

Sunday the crowd shrinks as the day evolves...but fishing was decent. I admit if was bobber fishing, but still...when the fly was in the right level, salmon would take. I needed a net. Gussa did leave the stove for a few fish each day, and his sons were harder at the fish. Some of our younger men were fishless, but they still worked it hard, and enjoyed the abuse. SSG was probably the high man for the camp on the day he fished.

Sunday night, it was just Gussa and me. We had an epic feed on about 2 tons of left overs, and tried to empty the fridge...and we came close.

Monday, we were on the water at 8am...with plans for a season end on fish. By this time I knew where and what, and landed a fine female salmon at 8:15 to the net. Fair caught on a yellow biot. Gussa was stuck on his way of fishing, and he was mostly seeing how many gears his new 10ft SIlver Ghost had. That rod may actually be a 100 foot rod. (6 wt). He worked it hard, and lost flies to ledges, but ended with frozen fingers and iced guides. We closed camp by 10:30 and were home mid afternoon.

The fishing season is over for me...and now ducks are on the schedule. Best wishes at the vise for the winter to all of you.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: The Closer
PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 3:59 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Why the closer Hutch? Some of my best fish of the year come in November.... close to you too.