FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barbless hooks
PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 9:19 am 
FFIMer

I have always pinched the barbs on my hooks and considered that OK. But after reading different statements here and elsewhere I guess that is illegal. I use 8x streamers often and to my knowledge they don't make that hook barbless. I know they make rules because people take things to the limit, but this is an extreme rule in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Barbless hooks
PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 11:55 am 
FFIM Addict

igloo lake wrote:
I have always pinched the barbs on my hooks and considered that OK. But after reading different statements here and elsewhere I guess that is illegal. I use 8x streamers often and to my knowledge they don't make that hook barbless. I know they make rules because people take things to the limit, but this is an extreme rule in my opinion.

Bill........

I pinch every barb on every fly I’ve tied since 1983, and I’ve never heard that that would be illegal anywhere. I’ve been checked countless times, and no warden has ever told me that I was fishing illegally with a fly with a pinched barb in “ barbless hook only” waters. I’m fairly certain someone is giving you poor information.

Dave M

PS: I sometimes now use the newer hooks that come barbless ( Firehole Outdoors, out of Bozeman, Mt.....I think?) Which are good, but I feel are very oversized. What they call a #14 has a gap if perhaps a #10? That seems weird to me. To my knowledge, however, I don’t think they make an 8X streamer hook. I’d have to check their website to be certain.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm 
FFIMer

I have never heard of the issue of self de-barbing your own hooks as being a problem. I de-barb my ties (and others I might buy) using a small pair of pliers. I suspect the idea of a problem relates to not pinching the bard "enough" to make the hook legal. I have always used the "business card rule" for pinching the hook. In short, if a hook barb does not snag the edge of a business card it meets the definition of a "barbless" hook. I have been checked by wardens for barbs and never had a problem. I don't remember anything other than a visual inspection, but suspect that if the warden sees that you made a real attempt at smoothing the hook then you are ok.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm 
FFIMer

I did some checking and I was wrong on the barbless hooks that actually had to be factory barbless. I think I must have had one beer to many when talking to some younger fishermen :shock:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2019, 5:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

Bill,
Pennsylvania has some pretty stiff regulations on barbless hooks. They are close to requiring factory barbless. I believe a pinched barb needs to be all but filed smooth. A check of their regs would be prudent.

Ron

Sir John Buchan