FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Credit
PostPosted: November 1st, 2019, 5:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

All
I want to give credit where credit is due. A lot of tips are shared on this site. Some new some bring out memories long forgotten. Dave M. has offered his views many times when asked and when he desires. He has been a big proponent of super- gluing parachute hackles plus the Whitlock blind splices. The Whitlock splices I learned back in the early-mid eighties when first starting out. The parachute trick here from Dave. But the tip that has been the real boon to me hats do with the superglue. It seems no matter what I did my superglue usage was basically limited to when the glue was first opened. After that usually I ended up with a dried up wasted bottle. Putting it in a tightly closed jar with a pack of dissicant helped a little, but not enough to warrant buying name brand. Reny's seemed to solve the problem of one shot and done. I asked Dave last winter at a tie and lie, and he said silicone grease the outside threads of the bottle as a sealant and your problem will be solved. Well.... A couple days ago I was tying up some parachutes and pulled a bottle I had used way last spring and I'll be damned it was as fluid as when opened way back when.
Thanks Dave!

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Credit
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 9:19 am 
FFIM Addict

Ron......

Thanks, and you’re welcome, but I have to give credit where it’s due, also.

I was having a lot of trouble years ago tying up my parachute Hackle and trapping fibers when tying them off. Ron Brown ( the Old Guide) from Montana iM’d meand said don’t tie them off.......use gel Superglue. I thought Hmmnnn.......that’s a neat trick. I haven’t tied off my thread since that day......
And that’s going on 25 years now. MikeHolt and I were discussing this at a Tie &. Lie many years ago. He wasn’t sure you actually needed the gel ca glue, until he tried the regular, and it wicked right up the post and ruined the fly. It must be gel.

As to the Whitlock Blind Splice, that tipactually came from the Master himself. We were fishing together on the Madison River one day, and at that time I was still using the Lefty Kreh method of whipping the end of 5he flyline into a loop with tying thread. ( Remember, this was years before line companies started offering lines with loops factory installed). Whitlock looked at that and said to me, Do you want to learn a better way? I had used those
whipped loops for over 20 years, and, frankly, I was reticent to change. I tried it, and haven’t ever gone back.

That ca glue trick with the silicone came from, I think, Clark’s Board. Like you, I had a devil of a time getting the ca glue to not glue the damn cap on. This trick solved the problem beautifully.

Speaking of Tie and Lies........it might be time to think about having one early in December after the deer season gets over.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 4:38 pm 
FFIMer

Amen to the Tie and Lies. I really enjoy getting together.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 5:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

Lane S wrote:
Amen to the Tie and Lies. I really enjoy getting together.

Ditto.

And thank you to Ron and Dave for the tip regarding greasing the bottle cap on super glue! That’s a new one for me.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 5:22 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Tie and Lie - good idea. I'll go to the Town Office on Monday and see what they have for available dates. :D