FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rod storage?
PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 10:45 am 
FFIM Addict

My wife and I bought a new house not to long ago and as we're nearing the end of the unpacking boxes phase and hanging artwork, pictures, etc... - it's about time to start focusing on organizing the tying room. Between the two of us, we own a fair number of fly rods. Rather than leave them leaned up in a corner- I'm curious what others are doing for rod storage. I'm contemplating building a rod storage rack for under the eves, but then the decision is to stare the rods horizontal or vertical? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Rod storage?
PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 11:29 am 
FFIMer

What a nice problem to have! I'm less well rodded (!?). But for those 4 or 5 that I do have, I've always figured that the way the manufacturer ships the rod is probably a decent way to store them when out of rotation or not in use. So back in it's cloth and into the rod tube. Horizontal or vertical probably won't matter.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 11:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

You've seen my set-up- Boat rod racks from Berkeley on the garage wall- for glass and graphite- holds 16 rods... Looks badass too.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 4:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

At home, my rods are stored in tubes and tubes are in a bucket with the bottom cut out, screwed to the side of the wall in the garage and reinforced with duct tape (the good stuff, gorilla tape). It ain't pretty, but it works OK.

I have a corollary question:
How do y'all prefer to transport rods in/on/under your vehicle?

I recently installed something my wife got me a couple of years ago that goes inside the car that hangs across, basically two straps hanging across. I added rigid piece of metal to the rear one and it fits OK. I've had two strung rods in there for the last 8 weeks and it seems to be working OK, though I haven't fished any extra, which was the idea -- much easier to steal 30 or 40 minutes to fish when it's strung up in the car. Anything wrong with leaving those stored in the car? Am I going to break off my next good fish? This is in a full size, long body SUV that usually hauls kids, lumber, skis, dog, luggage, etc. 9 foot and 8-6 rods fit fine, not sure about 9-6, but I think they will fit, too.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 4:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

For now some large rubber bands grouping 5-8 rods and a corner leaned vertically. The most recent used rod is usually in it's rod bag hung by the tab provided to air dry if any moisture didn't get wiped off. Others are stored in a rod bag hanging by the shoulder strap vertically always in their tubes. Graphite in a lonely corner of a closet in their tubes vertical. I have plans for rod rack or two to build in my spare time in 175 days.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

Pushaw
"full size, long body SUV" Man that just blew my whole mental picture I had of you.
But if it's for carrying rods stung and ready for use, that will add some points.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 8:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

I got some sumo racks earlier this summer. They do not work that well when it is cold....

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 3:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ron --
Our other vehicle might be a Prius and I ride the bus to work every day and run solar panels and believe in high carbon taxes, but I do own a pig -- Ford Expedition Max. It's mostly for moving a family of 5 plus dog on car trips skiing in the winter and camping/fishing/hiking in the summer. One interesting side note is that it's getting the same gas mileage or slightly better than our 4runner that it replaced, despite having double the cargo room -- we're getting 19.8 mpg for the 10 months we've had it, which includes plenty of time in 4wd and not enough time towing the raft. It also fits 4x8 sheets of material in the back whole, lying flat. I've come around to thinking that if I'm going need a big vehicle, I might as well just own it.

It does have enough room for full strung rods to be stored inside the cab all the time, which is an added benefit and makes short duration fishing adventures more appealing. I vow to do many more 1 hour local fishing trips this coming season than seasons past.

You should see my in-town fishing vehicle. It's a 6 person golf cart with some Maine DIFW stickers plastered to the sides. It looks pretty official and also has room for transporting fully strung rods.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 6:50 am 
FFIM-aholic

Two things I've found handy for keeping rods organized are:
Umbrella Stands:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=umbrella+h ... b_ss_i_3_3

Trash Cans:
https://smile.amazon.com/NINESTARS-OTT- ... 993&sr=8-5

A nice umbrella stand we picked up at a yard sale holds a half-dozen rod tubes and is HEAVY - no fear of it tipping over. It looks like this.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 2:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike Holt wrote:
Two things I've found handy for keeping rods organized are:
Umbrella Stands:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=umbrella+h ... b_ss_i_3_3

Trash Cans:
https://smile.amazon.com/NINESTARS-OTT- ... 993&sr=8-5

A nice umbrella stand we picked up at a yard sale holds a half-dozen rod tubes and is HEAVY - no fear of it tipping over. It looks like this.

Thanks Mike. I'm wondering if a 10 gallon crock isn't the way to go. I've got one (or two) kicking around that could be used for this. You're umbrella stand is a bit fancier though.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 3:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That umbrella stand is great because of the small diameter. Even single rod tubes stand up fairly straight.

Wide topped trash cans allowed rod tubes to lean way over and took up too much room. I'd stuff things down in the trash cans to keep rod tubes upright. For your 10-gallon crock you'd probably want to build an insert disk with rod tubes size holes in it to keep tubes from leaning.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 4:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike Holt wrote:
That umbrella stand is great because of the small diameter. Even single rod tubes stand up fairly straight.

Wide topped trash cans allowed rod tubes to lean way over and took up too much room. I'd stuff things down in the trash cans to keep rod tubes upright. For your 10-gallon crock you'd probably want to build an insert disk with rod tubes size holes in it to keep tubes from leaning.

We have enough rod tubes between us that I'm not worried about any of them leaning over. In fact- I'm worried about them not all fitting. First world problems...

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 4:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hunter
Get a bigger crock. My father found a 30 gallon crock at a sale or something when we were kids. T was about 18"-20" in diameter and about 24"-30" tall. But that every fall it would be filled with cabbage being transformed into sauerkraut. The first year it was filled in the kitchen. Once it got to festering the stink all but blew us out of the kitchen. It was too heavy to move. After that the crock with it's 'kraut lived in the fruit room in the back corner of the basement. The 'kraut would keep your rod tubes stay upright. That is until the acid in it ate through your aluminum tubes.

Ron

I believe Morse's in Waldoboro has bigger crocks for sale. And excellent Rueben sandwiches.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 4th, 2019, 12:45 am 
FFIMer

I have a plastic trash can (21gal if I remember right) that I bought at Walmart years ago. I think it was about $10. It is large enough to hold a fair number of rods and tall enough that they do not fall out. All my 4 piece rods and one 3 piece rods fit fine. I have an old 2 piece which is too long, but that leans against the wall behind it.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 6:09 pm 
FFIMer

pushaw wrote:
I recently installed something my wife got me a couple of years ago that goes inside the car that hangs across, basically two straps hanging across. I added rigid piece of metal to the rear one and it fits OK. I've had two strung rods in there for the last 8 weeks and it seems to be working OK, though I haven't fished any extra, which was the idea -- much easier to steal 30 or 40 minutes to fish when it's strung up in the car. Anything wrong with leaving those stored in the car? Am I going to break off my next good fish? This is in a full size, long body SUV that usually hauls kids, lumber, skis, dog, luggage, etc. 9 foot and 8-6 rods fit fine, not sure about 9-6, but I think they will fit, too.

If they're visible inside the vehicle I'd just be worried about someone breaking in and stealing them. That's why I like the locking Rod Vault on the roof racks.