FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 3:25 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
titleguy wrote:
I am on the purple band wagon and have been for many years. Summer 2018- Purple Haze in a 14, 16, 18 outfished all other mayfly imitations on the St G, EO, West Branch. Fall of 2018- purple comparadun in 14, 16, 18- outfished all other mayfly imitations on the Madison, Gallatin, EO, WB, Madison, St. G, Mousam. Summer 2019- Purple haze parachute, purple comparadun outfished all (except the yellow comparadun one night on the WB). Fall 2019- my son introduced me to the purple haze cripple on the Yellowstone. Outfished everything, again. Saturday I found rising fish on the EO by dam- they ate the 18 purple haze cripple...

I agree, but beware confirmation bias. For me, the orange muddler--which must be tied with a wood duck (not mallard) over wing and burnt orange (not flourescent orange) collar and head, and yellow calf tail (not bucktail or synthetic) underwing--out fishes everything when on ponds for brook trout. Dry, wet, sunk--it's the fly. But part of the reason is that 90% of the time it's the first thing I tie on, and I don't take it off if it's working, and if I do fish something else and it's not working I'll go back to the orange muddler, and so on.

I will say that regardless of color, that style of "cripple" that has been developed in the Yellowstone area is highly effective. Greg Hutchins first turned me onto them as a "Drake Mackerel" pattern before my first trip, and I now carry as many of those in various sizes and colors as I do of parachutes and sparkle duns. I don't think I've tied a "Catskill" dry pattern in 3 years.

White Wulffs and Humpies- only catskill style hackle I fish. My sone got this pattern at George Anderson's in Livingston....
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=1,2,6

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 4:58 pm 

Looks like maybe a spooled synthetic material for the body? Like the segmentation. FWIW, essentially the same fly with purple dubbing for the body has been effective for me.

Here's the "Drake Mackerel" cripple I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyqumi69UMg

Vary size and color and it covers any mayfly.