FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ahhhh.......Fall fishing
PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 10:24 am 
FFIM Addict

Or, lack thereof.

I was all set to get out the three weight and Hardy Featherweight and hit my favorite still open river for a try at the Tiny Olives (aka Acentrellas........ne Pseudocleons). Alas, Mother Nature #### the bed on that one.

Madison. Upped up to 6600 today, and, as I was thinking about hitting Shawmut (yes.......nostalgic, I’m well aware) is as we speak, just under 25,000. Well####!

Fall used to be great.......with massive hatches of tiny BWO’s and very low water, making for great wading. As drowning is not high on my agenda of things to do today, I guess I’ll have to go for my daily four mile walk.

By the time the K gets wadeable again the Acentrellas May be long gone for the 2019 season. I MAY have uttered a quite nasty term that could be any of several parts of speech when I saw the flows this morning. I think I’m hearing my tying vise calling my name. More Shop Vacs and Golden Stone Nymphs seem to be calling my name. Apparently, those #22 BWO Sparkle Duns I tied up last week are going without use for*another* Fall season.

Thank gawd for fly tying. I seem to tie more and fish less every year. Insert pissed off emoji here.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 11:53 am 
FFIM Addict

Rest assured, it's officially fall now that Dave M is complaining about the bwo fishing being blown out by high flows on the Kennebec. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Dave- I'm sad to report that DIFW recently issued a report on Shawmut recommending it not be managed as a coldwater fishery any longer, citing climate change among other issues. So whatever trout do end up there in the future will likely be from spillover up above.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 12:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave- Thanks for sharing, now I can cross Madison off the list for the weekend.... I did have some solid dry fly action at the EO this time last year, just sayin...

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 8:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave,
Just curious, how long is the drive for you to dream about BWO's, to Madison and beyond. I know a river that's dam controlled and starting to really turn on. Just saying. The bed is open and this offer expires in 180 days.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 6:45 am 
FFIM-aholic

As they often do when the Sandy and Carrabassett bump over their banks the powers that be hold Bingham water back until the Sandy and Carrabassett drop. After they drop Bingham starts letting extra water go.

So - today's Bingham flow might interest some people. Here's the forecast for today - 1,500 or so all day.

I've been watching this predictive site for the last two weeks and how closely they follow it. They have been consistent enough so that even with almost 8,000CFS flow daily I've fished the low flows in between the 8,000cfs flows and - so far - they have followed the schedule.

Here's the link to the daily schedule.
https://www.safewaters.com/facility/26

Edited to add - yesterday they said the flow would be around 1,500 all day and from about 7 until noon it was almost 9,000. However, by noon they dropped back to the predicted flow and stayed there until their targeted bump time of around six PM.

Noon to six is sorta like - when I want to be there.

Today's flow says they will bump to 8,000 at six AM and it is rising according to the USGS flow site. I'll be looking at the almost real-time flow site around 8 to see if they drop it back to the 1,500 level.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv/? ... 0065,00060

Question - is this spot burning or helping people find fishable water?

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 7:42 am 

Mike Holt wrote:

Question - is this spot burning or helping people find fishable water?

I know your question is tongue-in-cheek, but . . . .

(1) Late October when fishing pressure is down. (2) Big, open river with lots of room where fish are not concentrated in one place. (3) Primarily a fishery for non-native (though wild) fish.

This is about as far from from "the pre-spawn brookies will be piled in the Donny Brook pool tomorrow" as you can get. :wink:

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 7:43 am 

Hunter wrote:
Rest assured, it's officially fall now that Dave M is complaining about the bwo fishing being blown out by high flows on the Kennebec. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Right. It would be spring if he was talking about Cornutas or Hendricksons.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 10:29 am 
FFIM-aholic

1weight wrote:
Dave,
Just curious, how long is the drive for you to dream about BWO's, to Madison and beyond. I know a river that's dam controlled and starting to really turn on. Just saying. The bed is open and this offer expires in 180 days.

Ron

Been thinking about that river recently Ron. I may have to pay a visit next month. Off to the EO tomorrow morning.

Dave M- I will be fishing dries tomorrow after noon on my glass rod! Purple haze cripple...

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 6:40 pm 

titleguy wrote:
Purple haze cripple...

We need a controlled experiment comparing the PHC to the parachute Adams cripple and parachute pheasant tail cripple as generic "imitate any mayfly in the right size" imitations.

Will you please begin standardized data collection tomorrow?

I've got to spend all day in a truck and boat with Huntress with no fly rods.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 7:54 am 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
1weight wrote:
Dave,

Ron

Been thinking about that river recently Ron. I may have to pay a visit next month. Off to the EO tomorrow morning.

Dave M- I will be fishing dries tomorrow after noon on my glass rod! Purple haze cripple...

I guess I don’t really get this whole glass rod nostalgia thing. Another friend of mine has ditched almost all of his graphite rods for glass.

I well remember being in a canoe on Quimby Pond back in the mid-70’s......seeing guys from Beans with a new rod made out of graphite. The first cast convinced me that my Phillipson Royal Wand couldn’t compare to this new stuff. I bought a blank as soon as I could get to Freeport.

Graphite, or graphite/boron is superior in just about every way to fiberglass.......I can’t imagine my ever going back to glass. As a matter of fact, I still have that Phillipson, and fish it about once every couple of years......just to show myself how much better fifth generation graphite/boron is.

To each their own, but I’ll keep Fishing my BiiiX’s .

Dave M

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 8:16 am 
FFIMer

Dave I fish Sage XP's, Winston BiiiX etc. in certain spots. But depending on the situation the bamboo and fiberglass are right there. Smaller streams for sure get the boo and fiberglass. Also a flat pond with rising fish gets the nod. The newer rods in both have great action and it's nice to slow it down a touch once and awhile.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 8:20 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hmmmmm....
While we’re complaining, I could flip the script and bemoan the horribly dry conditions of August and September which led to another very disappointing salmon run. This run is an annual highlight that easily features the most exciting fishing of the season for me...as far as Maine goes. And it hasn’t been good in quite a few years.
September was the driest on record for Portland. What do you expect? Law of averages at play.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 9:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

why double post?

Last edited by titleguy on October 28th, 2019, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 9:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

I am on the purple band wagon and have been for many years. Summer 2018- Purple Haze in a 14, 16, 18 outfished all other mayfly imitations on the St G, EO, West Branch. Fall of 2018- purple comparadun in 14, 16, 18- outfished all other mayfly imitations on the Madison, Gallatin, EO, WB, Madison, St. G, Mousam. Summer 2019- Purple haze parachute, purple comparadun outfished all (except the yellow comparadun one night on the WB). Fall 2019- my son introduced me to the purple haze cripple on the Yellowstone. Outfished everything, again. Saturday I found rising fish on the EO by dam- they ate the 18 purple haze cripple...

DaveM- Glass is certainly not suitable for all applications, but it certainly is fun in the right spots. That area I was fishing on the EO is perfect for glass- short, accurate cast and holding potentially big fish on light tippets. The conditions out west did not permit the use of glass (much) I ended up using my Scott S3 the first day and my Winston LT the next two days on the Yellowstone. I use the glass on smaller streams all the time and on bigger water in the right conditions, the casting and fish fighting qualities are very enjoyable.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 2:10 pm 

titleguy wrote:
I am on the purple band wagon and have been for many years. Summer 2018- Purple Haze in a 14, 16, 18 outfished all other mayfly imitations on the St G, EO, West Branch. Fall of 2018- purple comparadun in 14, 16, 18- outfished all other mayfly imitations on the Madison, Gallatin, EO, WB, Madison, St. G, Mousam. Summer 2019- Purple haze parachute, purple comparadun outfished all (except the yellow comparadun one night on the WB). Fall 2019- my son introduced me to the purple haze cripple on the Yellowstone. Outfished everything, again. Saturday I found rising fish on the EO by dam- they ate the 18 purple haze cripple...

I agree, but beware confirmation bias. For me, the orange muddler--which must be tied with a wood duck (not mallard) over wing and burnt orange (not flourescent orange) collar and head, and yellow calf tail (not bucktail or synthetic) underwing--out fishes everything when on ponds for brook trout. Dry, wet, sunk--it's the fly. But part of the reason is that 90% of the time it's the first thing I tie on, and I don't take it off if it's working, and if I do fish something else and it's not working I'll go back to the orange muddler, and so on.

I will say that regardless of color, that style of "cripple" that has been developed in the Yellowstone area is highly effective. Greg Hutchins first turned me onto them as a "Drake Mackerel" pattern before my first trip, and I now carry as many of those in various sizes and colors as I do of parachutes and sparkle duns. I don't think I've tied a "Catskill" dry pattern in 3 years.