FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Two rods?
PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 4:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hey Jeff --
I might not want to sit in one spot flyfishing, but you let me know if I can join live-lining carp for northern pike. Preferably in the dark with some cheap beer.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 2:03 pm 
FFIMer

When wading, one rod and two reels or an extra spool. I like to have the option of switching to sink tip or back to floating line if needs be.

When floating I also have 3 rods set up. Dry, nymph and bugger. The bugger is what I normally fish unless I see a reason not to. i.e. rising fish or a very nice nymphing run.

In the truck I always have a 4wt, 2 5wts and 3 6 wts. All are kept rigged in rod tubes with reels on them.
* 4 wt Winston Biiix, is smaller river/stream dry fly rod that can toss a small bugger with a weight in a pinch
* 5 wt #1 - 8 1/2' Helios II is my bigger river dry fly rod.
* 5 wt #2 - 10' G. Loomis, nymph rod
* 6 wt #1 - Helios II - bugger rod
* 6 wt #2 - Sage XP - wading rod set up with floating line and a second spool with sink tip
* 6 wt #3 - Winston 9 1/2' made by Tom Morgan that I use for Czech nymphing

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 5:14 am 
FFIM-aholic

In boats - two rods - maybe three.

When wading it used to be my 5-weight and a spare spool with a sink-tip line. Now I use the Poly-Leaders instead of a sink-tip line. I think those poly-leaders fish and cast well.

So, not being able to live with an empty pocket on my vest I put a 200-grain Depth Charge line on my spare spool. 200-grains is on the high end of what my 5-weight will comfortably throw but it works.

I thought carrying an extra spool was old school. I seem to remember a lot of people doing it back before you could use split-shot or weighted flies. Having a sinking line on a spare spool was the only way we could get a fly deeper than a few inches.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 9:07 pm 

Mike Holt wrote:
In boats - two rods - maybe three.

When wading it used to be my 5-weight and a spare spool with a sink-tip line. Now I use the Poly-Leaders instead of a sink-tip line. I think those poly-leaders fish and cast well.

So, not being able to live with an empty pocket on my vest I put a 200-grain Depth Charge line on my spare spool. 200-grains is on the high end of what my 5-weight will comfortably throw but it works.

I thought carrying an extra spool was old school. I seem to remember a lot of people doing it back before you could use split-shot or weighted flies. Having a sinking line on a spare spool was the only way we could get a fly deeper than a few inches.

I remember buying one of those Orvis "mini-lead-head" packages from you and wondering if it was legal on FFO waters. I remember the same question about bead head flies. Between when I left Maine to go to college and when I came home 9 years later, either the rule or the interpretation of it seemed to have changed.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 6:54 am 
FFIMer

There is a new thread about two rods being found on the road leading out of Upper Dam. I guess we know this guys/ girls opinion on how many rods to bring stream side. Perhaps our discussion should not about how many rods we take fishing but how many rods we bring home? Again and again the vehicle roof proves to be a poor place to transport rods. Now that I've said it I'll be the next to do it! :shock:

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 7:07 am 
FFIMer

Like Mike, one rod with extra spool sometimes. Out west one rod no extra spool.

We have a rule - just ask Bob as he violates it regularly.

The first thing you do is put the rod away, no exceptions.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 5:17 pm 
FFIMer

Parker wrote:

We have a rule - just ask Bob as he violates it regularly.

The first thing you do is put the rod away, no exceptions.

Whew. I've often felt a little selfish when the first thing I do out of the canoe or back at the truck is put my rod away. Good to know others do the same.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 8:40 am 
FFIMer

I don't always put my rod away first, however I tend to leave it across the windshield... makes it hard to forget about. I do occasionally set it on the roof of my Jeep, but at 6' 4" it's easy to spot as I look down on it.

Peter

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 1:27 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Drove off with my rod on the roof exactly once....