FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 20th, 2019, 3:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Second annual trip to Bozeman in October. Got there a few days after some substantial snow and very cold weather. Water temps had dropped as much as 20 degrees in a week- Must've know I was coming.

The traveling: Left Boston at 6 am, arrived in Bozeman at noon. Delta was flawless, again. Went through Salt Lake instead of MSP this time. Had the rental car signed up, bags in the car, a stop at Town & Country in Belgrade ( 5.75 lb NY Strip for $23.00- should've bought 3) and was at the rental house by 2 pm.

The fishing: First afternoon fished the water near the house on the Gall- I decided to swing and only got one nice brown. Beau Peavey nymphed up a few and then had to leave. My son and Salvy got fish on dries and swing wets, including some slab browns. Day two we floated the Yellowstone, Carbella to Point of Rocks- super windy to start and no streamer bite. We came upon a pod of risers and ogt out of the boat and played with them for 2 hours- multiple cutties and whiteys on 14 purple haze cripple and an 18 march brown spider wet. Picked up two really nice fish near the take out on dries as well. Monday we floated the Stone again- Mayors to 89- ridiculously windy. Beau did well on whiteys nymphing ( a big whitefish is a JoJo) until we found the bod of eaters in a foamy back eddy. Huge cuttbow for Beau and some smaller cuts for us. Long, cold, windy day. Tuesday we fished the Madison in the park where we had success last year. We had success this year as well. Solid fish, despite the effin' wind- all ended up with 4 solid browns or bows a piece plus a great buffalo encounter on the way back to Bozeman. Wednesday was fish at home day. No dry fly fish for either of us, but we both did well nymphing. I Czech nymphed with some success. Thursday we floated the Stone again- winds were sustained close to 30 mph at the beginning of the float, but we managed three solid fish ion streamers. Found one good pod of eaters, primarily whiteys. Windy got worse instead of the forecast better as the day went on.
The house: Great spot near Four Corners- comfortable, well- equipped and only $135.00 per night. The water near the house was not as productive as our place we rented the last two times, but still very nice.
The gear: I hauled too much stuff again... Used my 5 wt LT with a Lamson Velocity and Rio gold on the Madison and Yellowstone for dries. The furled leader was a trip saver.. The 5 wt spey only landed one fish, but did not get used much. I used my Winston XTR 8 wt. with a sonar sink tip (from Marden's) out of the boat for fishing streamers- huge articulated junk- it performed well. The glas rod went home to MT but was fishless. I brought my XP but did not use it for the second straight year as I refuse to indicator nymph. The Redington Czech rod with Velocity was great as always. G3s were great, boots were great ( G4 Boas). Weather was mostly cool and very windy but never needed full on cold gear.

All in all a great trip again. Had some tough conditions to deal with, but got some solid fish. Only bummer was stepping in a hole on the Madison on Tuesday and thrashing my back- made Wednesday and Thursday challenge fishing (and walking).