FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 9:26 am 
FFIM Addict

All,

Every year a bunch of us spend a week in mid-October on one of the few Maine streams still open for the extended season. I’ve been fishing this particular area since the late 1970’s, or, for those of you with OCD, and need preciseness, more than forty years.

To give you the Cliff Notes version........the fishing was as slow as I’ve ever seen it up there. That’s not to say we didn’t catch Brookies and Landlocks, because we did........just not anywhere the numbers we’re used to getting up there at this time of year.

A few of those #8 fall Golden Stones were still coming off, and a *very* few tiny Blue Wings came off in the afternoons.......but that was about it for dry fly action.

Most of the fish I caught were nymphing. A #8 (200r) Golden Stone Rubber Legs Nymph was my top producer, followed by a Red Brassie and a BH Pheasant Tail. The Golden Stone took my best LL of the trip.......a 20 or 21” (I honestly didn’t put the tape on him) hook jawed male with a wicked kype. A very nice fish.

The best dry fly was ( honest to God......I wouldn’t have believed it) a #8 Golden Stone colored Chubby Chernobyl. Seriously. Put a little Flyagra on that sucker and it’s virtually unsinkable. I took a 16” and 18” LL on that fly. I guess I’ll have to tie up a bunch more of those......as I had tied it up really as a bit of a joke.

Most of the Brookies took either the Brassie or the BH PT.

Truthfully, we had to work our proverbial asses off every day to get just a few fish. That’s highly unusual up there. The Dam operators were ####ing with the flows, so that might be a contributing factor.

Soft Hackles were an absolute bust. I didn’t even have a hit on them.......much less catch anything, and I fished them a fair bit. I know friends that swear by Soft Hackles, but they’ve never done squat for me. I’m not sure why I carry so many of them. Streamers were, too, a bust. Didn’t take a fish on them, either.

Other than the storm Thursday, the weather was almost too nice. The water temps were significantly higher than normal for this time of year.

For anybody that worries that flyfishing is a “dying sport”.........as they say in Brooklyn...........forgetaboutit. It looked like Arnies Army up there. You may have to be of a certain age to get that reference, but........trust me on this........flyfishing is NOT a dying sport. The State of Maine really needs to open up significantly more water to C&R for the fall season. The places that stay open into the extended season are wall to wall fishermen. It’s borderline ridiculous.

Hopefully getting out a few more times to get the three weight out and the 6.5 X tippet for the Blue Wings before winter sets in. Get out there if you can.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 10:27 am 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
All,

The State of Maine really needs to open up significantly more water to C&R for the fall season. The places that stay open into the extended season are wall to wall fishermen. It’s borderline ridiculous.

Dave M

I agree, as Upper Dam was absolutely packed last weekend. Thankfully I was able to get some (very) good fishing in on the Friday before the hordes arrived. Granted, it was a holiday weekend (for many) but still numbers of anglers that I've never seen there before.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 11:30 am 
FFIMer

I was Downeast most of last week, definitely plenty of people fishing, a lot more then I saw last year the same week. There are certainly not enough rivers open late fall. The fishing was mostly slow, although one day I managed 15 fish, most of them came from casting in the lake.... which seemed to fish better then the river almost every day. Most fish were around 16-18, but I found a handful of sold fish around 20. I did well with a Gartside SHS and a golden retriever, and hooked a few fish on nymphs and wets.

Peter

PostPosted: October 20th, 2019, 1:29 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I just got back from Montana early yesterday morning. Thought about going out today, but I stepped in a hole in the bank on the Madison on Tuesday and injured my back. Maybe next weekend....