FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's old is new again
PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 2:54 pm 
FFIMer

I alternated between head scratching and jaw clenching when I read this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/styl ... turns.html Maybe it'll stay in New York. I suppose that's not very mature of me. I should welcome everyone to the sport I love. :wink:

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 4:24 pm 
FFIMer

So I opened the link to read the article, and NYT lets me look at it for 2 seconds and then I get directed to screen where I have to create an account to keep reading the article. Not the OP's fault, but a little annoying.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 4:44 pm 
FFIMer

Sorry about that. I'm a subscriber but thought the NYT allowed a limited number of reads before blocking you out (like the 5 articles you get with the BDN).

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 5:03 pm 

The areas they are talking about in the Catskills have been tony private angling clubs for generations. I remember fishing that area when I lived in NJ right after college in the early 90's and being shocked by the amount of private water. (You really don't realize how good we have it in Maine until you try to fish or hunt somewhere without our tradition of public access and permissive trespassing laws.) A lot of that area was private clubs even back in Ray Bergman's day.

Only the target market is different. Now it's rich men and women who want saunas, tasting menus, salt scrubs and other spa treatments with their Hendrickson hatch rather than rich men who want steak, cigars and whiskey. I must confess I don't get the glamping thing. For the price of those "campsites" you could rent a pretty nice room or cottage. I love camping, but the romance is getting away from roads and other people.

PS. Just noticed that with your $445 room at one of the lodges, you get a pair of Muck boots to wear during your stay. I own several pairs of muck boots, and between the muck and the amount I sweat in them, I guarantee nobody will ever want to share. Do you think they sterilize them, like rental bowling shoes or roller skates?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 7:10 pm 
FFIMer

I also remember the lure and the legend of the Adirondacks fishing history. I was somewhat in awe of the place when I first went there in the late 80s. I'm sure there was a fantastic bedrock of real fly fishing evolution there at one point in time. But by the time I showed up, it was more myth than reality. Hey, people have to make a living somehow. So, C'est la vie.

I can also remember standing in the Farmington River in my jeans and sneakers catching fish in front of the guys who just came from watching "A River Runs Through It". Their waders had creases in them like they were just ironed. They'd paid extra for a new hat that looked old. It's not their fault if it doesn't stick, at least they sensed something of what it was.

Rent-A-Muck Boot? I don't think so.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2019, 12:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

It was in the Style section, so I didn't even read it.

I do see a lot of my workmates dabbling in fly fishing these days. But they tend to be aging dirtbags and seem to be into doing thing in a minimalist style, e.g. Tenkara and a few flies.

My take is something along these lines: Rich people are going to spend money on doing rich people things outside. Golf is on the decline, so those folks are going to spend money somewhere else on vacation. My sense is that in CO, there are a way more people hiking and backcountry skiing than ever before, while fishing really seems about the same to me, at least on the places I fish regularly. NYTimes Style section is definitely aimed at rich people. I'd rather they'd go back to the golf course, but I haven't seen any issues yet. People selling stuff pay a lot of attention to rich people. But that doesn't mean things are really noticeably different on stream.

The big danger here is if/when rich people buy land up and try to prevent access. Otherwise, I'm not expecting much impact. Land on rivers out west is already awfully expensive.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm 
FFIMer

I'm most interested in Pushaw's "aging dirtbags." Do tell...