FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sage Warranty
PostPosted: October 14th, 2019, 5:39 pm 
FFIMer

Color me shocked to find that Sage "might" charge me $150 to repair a rod that broke in the butt section. They might not charge but I hooked it on a branch, pulled it loose and the rod broke. It's a 6 wt XP and is 20 years old. It's been a great rod but have you fellas experienced this with Sage? I have a half dozen Sage rods and will be having a sale if they don't honor what was an unconditional warranty when I bought it.

Any advice if they try to charge me?

Post subject: Re: Sage Warranty
PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 12:14 am 
FFIMer

The cost of the "free" lifetime warranty has caused me to not buy any more new Sage rods. I have (since I could afford them) been a Sage customer as I was always able to find a rod with my preference for a slow/medium action. My favorite rod, SP, is in their classic category and would require a $ 150 repair cost, some of my other rods are ZXL which are newer, but still need a $ 75 fee. Even the recent Circa model (2017) requires the $ 75 fee, just ridiculous! The lifetime warranty has simply become a scam.

A rod should either be fixed under warranty for no cost other than shipping, or they should stop offering such an expensive free service. Clearly, when you buy a rod like a Sage, you are spending the extra money to buy the warranty. I have tried several current rods from other makers which cost less than half that of a comparable Sage with an action I like. Their warranty is not as good, but I can buy two (maybe three) of the "off-brand" rods for the cost of one Sage and not worry about having it fixed.

You do the math

http://www.sageflyfish.com/repair-pricing

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 7:05 am 
FFIMer

As an owner of several Sage rods this is an eye opener. Needless to say there won't be another Sage in the line up.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 7:44 am 
FFIMer

Well, I'll let you know how it plays out. I live in Twin Bridges and have had 2 rods repaired there for free. Had I sent them in from somewhere it would have been $50/ea. Orvis is $60 now for a no questions asked repair. Am hopeful that Sage honors the warranty, I think I have the original card somewhere. Love that f'n XP. It's my all around big river rod when foot fishing. That rod, a Ross reel with 2 spools, one floating and one sink tip and I'm good to go for a day. Rising fish, tossing hoppers, nymphing, bugger fishing, whatever, that rod can handle it all.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 6:41 pm 
FFIMer

Forgive me if I’m being rational. You broke your 20 year old rod and expect Sage to live up to a warranty? Am I reading this correctly or did I misunderstand?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm 
FFIMer

SSG wrote:
Forgive me if I’m being rational. You broke your 20 year old rod and expect Sage to live up to a warranty? Am I reading this correctly or did I misunderstand?

I'm curious too......

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm 
FFIM-aholic

baydog wrote:
SSG wrote:

I'm curious too......

Lets put it this way....

20 years ago I paid $700 (ton of money for a rod at that time) for an XP. One of the deciding factors for the purchase was that LIFETIME warranty, which was "send us $35 and the rod and we will repair or replace the rod regardless the cause of the damage". I used that warranty once. Got a replacement. And was told the warranty stood with that rod as well. Lifetime is lifetime. Period. Not too hard a concept to understand.
So unless Sage has changed it for new purchases, I would expect them to honor that warranty.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2019, 10:08 pm 
FFIMer

Boneylegs wrote:
baydog wrote:
SSG wrote:

I'm curious too......

Lets put it this way....

20 years ago I paid $700 (ton of money for a rod at that time) for an XP. One of the deciding factors for the purchase was that LIFETIME warranty, which was "send us $35 and the rod and we will repair or replace the rod regardless the cause of the damage". I used that warranty once. Got a replacement. And was told the warranty stood with that rod as well. Lifetime is lifetime. Period. Not too hard a concept to understand.
So unless Sage has changed it for new purchases, I would expect them to honor that warranty.

Yeah, pretty simple, unconditional lifetime warranty came with the rod. I could handle being charged $50. Orvis charged $60 recently for a rod repair. Winston has charged me zero for 2 rod repairs because I'm a local. The potential $150 repair fee chapped my ass. We'll see how it turns out.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 7:12 am 

My last Sage repair was for a stuck ferrule on an XP of similar vintage. Sage had to break a section to get it unstuck and replace that section. I can't remember what I paid, but it was something nominal that covered shipping, maybe $50.

But they did tell me that any future repairs might not be possible because they no longer had some parts for my rod.

FWIW, if Sage would create a new re-issue of the XP in 5,6 and 7 weight to cover the costs of manufacturing more replacement sections, I'd be buying at least one.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 2:13 pm 
FFIMer

For what it's worth, last year LL Bean replaced a missing top section of my Silver Ghost 8-weight for merely a $10 shipping charge.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 9:21 pm 
FFIMer

Montana Man wrote:
I hooked it on a branch, pulled it loose and the rod broke.....

Lol. You hooked the rod on a branch, and pulled it, and the rod broke? Like, by itself? You don't think your pulling had anything to do with it?

My advice if they try to charge you is to pay it and say thank you. If you can't own up to your own agency in the things you do, no warranty in the world is going to save you from yourself.

bb

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

bearbutt wrote:
Montana Man wrote:
I hooked it on a branch, pulled it loose and the rod broke.....

Lol. You hooked the rod on a branch, and pulled it, and the rod broke? Like, by itself? You don't think your pulling had anything to do with it?

My advice if they try to charge you is to pay it and say thank you. If you can't own up to your own agency in the things you do, no warranty in the world is going to save you from yourself.

bb

Nope. No way. Unconditional means unconditional.....period. That rod should be covered. I was talking with a rod company rep a few years ago, and he told me that rod companies expect to get every rod sold sent back to them two and a half times. That’s built right into the retail price. There should be no questions asked.

Now, we all can think that rod companies should never have gone to 25 year or lifetime warranties.......and should drop the price for premium rods back to the $400 range.......but that cats been out of the bag for a long time, and companies are going to continue to charge primo prices, as long as folks are going to pay them.

XP’s were sold with unconditional lifetime warranties. Sage should honor it. Period. That’s the end of that discussion.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 6:41 pm 
FFIMer

This is the reason why LLB no longer has their warranty, abuse.
Unconditional, if you break it yourself after 20 years of use, you die, your children should be able to have it repaired for free after you are six feet under and used it 20 years!

If I use something for an extended period of time, break it myself, I own it period. I would gratefully pay $150 for a rod I really liked for them to help me repair it.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm 
FFIMer

The last broken XP I sent back was replaced with a $60 fee, and was returned with no sage label on the blank......Guess they don't want it back again........That rod and it's replacement have caught many thousands of LL's and SMB's and owes me nuthin".......
If Sage brought them back I too would buy a couple in a hurry(at my professional discount that is) LOL

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 8:58 pm 
FFIMer

So by the logic of some on here a pledge you made is no longer valid once you rationalize conditions, even though the pledge came without conditions, that allow you to cancel your pledge? So much for "till death do us part". I know, I know a bit demonstrative comparing a fishing pole to a marriage but hey, fishing is important! :wink: A pledge is a pledge. If you don't mean it don't make it. If you break it, own it, and don't try to put your excuse for not honoring it on someone else.