FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tick city
PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 3:20 pm 
FFIMer

I'll bet you're all sick of hearing about ticks. However, I'm one who thought it was a bunch of hooey until five years ago when I bloomed a bullseye rash and was diagnosed with Lyme. I was lucky, I pestered the doctor (who at the time thought I was nuts for thinking you could get Lyme in Maine) for the test and the treatment. I was cured. Many do not show the bullseye and so go untreated with years of weird stuff and pain.

I mention all this because today, after each session of outdoor playtime with my dog, I found ticks on her. A total of 5 so far today on her, and 2 on myself. The dog is treated with a medication so she'll likely be fine. But she carries them into the house. So an extra word of caution, the ticks seem to like the fall. Best to be vigilant.

Post subject: Re: Tick city
PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 4:09 pm 

Third person today who has mentioned recent tick exposure. It's that time of year. Bowhunters and those chasing turkeys, who spend a long time sitting still, are most at risk, but anglers and partridge hunters get exposed, too. I find working in my garden is where I am most likely to get ticked.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 4:53 pm 
FFIMer

The recent explosion in cases of Lyme's disease and other tick born diseases into more northerly areas has been attributed to climate change. If that is important to you, or you find that you are more reluctant to engage in your favorite outdoor past times for fear of tick exposure, you may want to research what your elected representative thinks of climate change and what can be done about it.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm 
FFIMer

AusableWulff wrote:
The recent explosion in cases of Lyme's disease and other tick born diseases into more northerly areas has been attributed to climate change. If that is important to you, or you find that you are more reluctant to engage in your favorite outdoor past times for fear of tick exposure, you may want to research what your elected representative thinks of climate change and what can be done about it.

Wow! That got political fast.......Not to dispute climate change, but habitat change and removal of large predators increasing deer density might, just might have something to do with it.........

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I bought several hiking pants with cargo pockets and sprayed them with Sawyer's spray. Been wearing them all summer. I used to spray one or two pairs of jeans a summer but could never remember which pair I sprayed. :roll: :roll:

Sawyer's seems to work for me. I also saved our toilet paper rolls and stuff them with cotton balls that I've sprayed with Sawyer's. Then I throw the rolls under the camp, stuff them in the woodshed and place them anywhere I think mice go. (which is everywhere) The mice build nests with the cotton balls which kills the tick nymphs. I don't know for sure if it works but it sounds good.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 11:10 pm 

[quote="baydog"habitat change and removal of large predators increasing deer density might, just might have something to do with it.........[/quote]

You looking to bring wolves and cougars back to Maine? Talk about political! :lol:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 11:16 pm 

Mike Holt wrote:
I bought several hiking pants with cargo pockets and sprayed them with Sawyer's spray. Been wearing them all summer. I used to spray one or two pairs of jeans a summer but could never remember which pair I sprayed. :roll: :roll:

Sawyer's seems to work for me. I also saved our toilet paper rolls and stuff them with cotton balls that I've sprayed with Sawyer's. Then I throw the rolls under the camp, stuff them in the woodshed and place them anywhere I think mice go. (which is everywhere) The mice build nests with the cotton balls which kills the tick nymphs. I don't know for sure if it works but it sounds good.

What Mike said. I do three or four entire sets of clothes--pants, socks, t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, hat. Hang them in a separate closet so I know which ones were treated. Makes a huge difference. One reason I get nailed in the garden is I am likely to be out there in shorts and sandals, not wearing my woods clothes. If you are a frequent flier and want to save a little money, you can buy the Permethin concentrated and dilute it down to treat your clothes. Just wear gloves, do it outside, and let your clothes dry well before you wear them. Permethrin is pretty benign for humans when it's dry, but toxic when wet.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 6:40 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great info all - thanks! I have a client that just returned from Germany - treatment for her Lyme. Before her diagnosis, 3 years ago, she was a very dynamic, vibrant woman. Today she walks with a cane and struggles daily. It really is heart breaking to see her. Very timely discussion - take it to heart!

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 7:20 am 
FFIMer

There is a new tick (has a white spot on it) that if you get bite makes you allergic to red meat.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 7:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

I had Lyme back in my early 20’s living in PA, where it was more prevalent and better diagnosed. It was a rough month during the summer but we nipped it early. It was a rotten sickness. Beware.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 8:54 am 
FFIMer

baydog wrote:
AusableWulff wrote:

Wow! That got political fast.......Not to dispute climate change, but habitat change and removal of large predators increasing deer density might, just might have something to do with it.........

That was not political at all. Just factual. It would of gotten political had I advocated for a candidate or a party. All I advocated for was for one to become informed on what their representative’s position on it is if this is an important issue for them.

Is that really political?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 8:54 am 
FFIMer

Deleted double post

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 10:52 am 
FFIM Addict

baydog wrote:
AusableWulff wrote:

Having just returned from a safari trip in Africa, where large predators and prey were in abundance, I can tell you that ticks were around there too. We mainly rode around in a safari vehicle, but found ticks on our bags and hood of the truck more than once. According to the guide, the local ticks there are not known to harbor disease, but I suspect that is more of a lack of knowledge issue than reality. Anyway, tick numbers here are just as much driven by small rodents as they are large warm-bodied species. We have a lot of mice, squirrels, groundhogs, rabbits, etc... that drive our tick numbers. If you amassed all the small mammals by weight compared to the large ones- I'm guessing the rodents outweigh the large predators/prey by a LOT here in Maine (we're not exactly the Serengeti when it comes to numbers of our large prey species).

Oh- as an aside- climate change is an issue in Africa too. The locals there (even down to a village level) are concerned, as climate-induced food supply impacts are real. And the lions get hungry when the wildebeest migrate in a different direction due to drought, etc...