FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T.R. GLS 10/4-6
PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 1:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Went. Stayed...and watched nothing happen.

Started Saturday morning early at dawn in the dam pool- was stunned to see nobody in the entire pool. I was happily able to fish anywhere I wanted and the fish were EXCEPTIONALLY good at not being there. I caught a bass. With the sun up, I could see anywhere I wanted and saw not a single fish in the pool. I went to the lake and saw another fisher who said his group had landed A salmon---one.

I went to camp and fished that water out front...and I was able to spot a breeding pair- that they were not interested in any offer I had, at least I was seeing 2 fish. After an hour, I went to camp to eat and drone. The sun came out later...I knew I had to try those 2 fish again as I was there to fish and now that I knew there were 2 fish in the entire river, I must land one.

Hmmm...when I left camp, I looked into the water right out front, and was blessed. I could see...a dozen salmon, maybe more. I found they were unimpressed with my dead drifted nymphs...but if I dragged them (how I learned this was dragging the nymphs at the end of a drift and having an unseen salmon materialize behind the moving stone fly)...then a few liked streamers ( A Holt fly was hot)...in the end I hooked twice as many as I landed. Which can allow you to decide to do whatever math fits your reading needs...

Sunday, I fished the length of the river...never saw a fish below the long falls below camp. Landed one more salmon out front and was pleased to have had that. Walked in town, and could see a salmon from the bridge...which leads me to believe that maybe about---oh, 2 weeks from now, the fishing will be epic. Just in time to not be able to fish. Greg fished the entire day, and as he is significantly better at this than I am, I was glowing that I landed one fish and he took the collar. If he can't catch fish, there are few fish to take.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: T.R. GLS 10/4-6
PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 3:15 pm 
FFIMer

Not the report I wanted to hear.. I'm headed there a week from today, I hope things pick up some before then.

Peter

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 4:59 pm 
FFIMer

Fishing in the lake was stupid easy today......Only a few boats out and just a quick jump past the no wake bouys and we were steady into fish for the two hours we fished....

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 6:51 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Baydog-- will bring a boat.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 11:01 am 
FFIM Addict

I'll be heading that way this weekend for a moose hunt next week. If we tag out early, I may swing by town to wet a line, but more than likely will be focused on chasing birds (upland or waterfowl).