FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nots? Knots?
PostPosted: October 21st, 2019, 6:47 pm 
FFIMer

I think there's a little voodoo involved with blood knots. (Since I don't use surgeons, I'll keep my comment restricted to that voodoo blood knot.) And this may sound stupid, but the only way I can survive using blood knots without shooting myself or some other innocent bystander, is to do the exact same thing every time. If I lose focus and wrap the wrong tag end over instead of behind, it won't cinch. Or, if I get antsy and try to pull one end before wrapping the other, it won't cinch. However, when it all happens as it is supposed to, it's almost better than sex. I can put up with a modest failure rate just to achieve that perfect blood knot climax. So, I'm thinking that maybe the surgeons is the same way in terms of consistency. I honestly don't think it's because the material is less strong or supple than it used to be. If anything, I think the reverse is true.

Post subject: Re: Nots? Knots?
PostPosted: October 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

I agree with Hunter on the different physical property issues; mono-flouro also more than 2 sizes difference in sizes of tippet. Also I think that at times you'll just get bad material. I've gone and had 2 or 3 knotting trys with lubricated, dry, slow draw, quick draw and have a bunch keep breaking shortening a little each time then it holds and it seems it won't snap if your life depended on it.

Sir John Buchan