FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2019, 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mousing in Maine
PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 8:49 am 
FFIMer

Good Day!

Okay... First, an apology. I have been beyond delinquent in posting a follow up on my trip to Labrador. I started post this morning (10/05/19) and for some reason could not get the photos to post from my Photo Bucket account to the FFIM page without being blurry and having and advertisement in the middle of the photo? Anyway, I am working on it... Any technical experts want to PM with some pointers would be appreciated. Also could pull pics from Facebooks with a little help there as well, again PM me with tips please. Thank you!!!

Fishing a mouse pattern in Labrador was a blast to say the least. I was not able to use the approach in every situation, but there were several opportunities.

I decided upon my return to Maine that I was going to use a mouse pattern on some of the waters I fish in the fall with a goal to catch a fish Salmon or Brook Trout) on a mouse pattern. While I did not land a fish, I can say that I was able to get a take by a Land Locked Salmon and played it for a short amount of time before I lost it during the aerial performance.

Curious if others have tried and had any luck?

Have an awesome day!

- ZG - <*((-<

Post subject: Re: Mousing in Maine
PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 10:36 am 
FFIMer

On several Canadian fishing trips I tied a mouse (Lemming) pattern and had success. I tied my own because I couldn't find a professionally tied mouse that was small enough to cast comfortably with a 6 weight. I ended up spinning deer hair on a streamer hook until I got a ball of deer hair and trimmed it down to an oval shape. I even put a fine leather tail on some but I think that was overkill. Some professionally tied mice ( tied for bass fishing) have a tail ,ears and eyes. I think these details catch more fishermen than fish and add weight making them hard to cast.
As far as trying the pattern on Maine LL salmon I guess I never thought of it. Lemmings end up in Canadian rivers because of their migration patterns. The brook trout have seen them before and they make a nice meal. Maine doesn't have Lemmings and I'm not sure a lot of mice end up in rivers. With that said I think sometimes fish strike because, like humans, even though we may not be sure what something is we don't want the other guy to beat us to it. On the right day perhaps a mouse pattern, which will float like crazy, might be what a ll salmon is looking for. Good luck.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 1:51 pm 
FFIMer

have used mouse pattern in 4, 6, 8 for LM Bass. Very effective (late in the day). Have not trued fir trout.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 2:33 pm 
FFIMer

On my 3 rivers trip in Labrador I got several browns and pike on a mouse pattern. I used a "traditional" deer hair fly in a grey (field mouse) and dark brown (rat/vole). Surprising to me, the fish were all taken in full daylight. Locally in New England I have never taken any fish on a mouse pattern except at dusk/dark in the late summer.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 6:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have never used a mouse pattern anywhere.
But saying that, if you are successful with them over spawning landlocks, it likely has nothing to do with the fish wanting a mouse for a meal. They aren’t feeding, or not very much. It’s probably territorial defense and aggression.
I wouldn’t be surprised if mice were often on the menu for feeding salmonids though, most fish are opportunistic feeders. How often is your indicator hit? Resembling no trout food I know...but it’s available.
I’m not sure how often mice swim...but as rodents I would guess it’s quite a bit. I worked directly on the shoreline of Long Lake (Cumberland) all last summer and was amazed at the frequency in which squirrels, both red and gray, would cross Monday Cove from Zakelo Island to the mainland, a swim of roughly 200 yards. Some big bass and pickerel in that stretch, and I was always amazed that I didn’t see an attempt to eat one of those squirrels. Which, by the way, are very good swimmers.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 6:46 pm 

In my fish-killing days, I took a ~13-14" brown from a Michigan river on a streamer. When I cleaned it there were three mice in its belly.

I also heard tales that last year during the great squirrel explosion, stripers were observed taking down swimming squirrels between Dresden and Swan Island on the Kennebec.

I suspect any trout big enough to eat a mouse will do so when they are available. A Gartside Gurgler with dark foam and a long tail would make a nice, easy to tie, durable mouse pattern. It's been a striper killer for me in white.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 7:33 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff,
I fished a white gurgler with a brown tail at Middle Dam late one evening a few falls ago. Lots of strikes, stripping all the chenille off the tail leaving only the cord.... I kept waiting for one to grab the entire fly, but it never happened.

Peter

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 9:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

In the summer on the Farmington in Ct fishing mice at night, usually after midnight gets some very large Browns. You even have a few of the local tyers that have “the pattern” to use. I tied some up for Labrador. Didn’t get any many trout or salmon on them, but the Northern’s hammered them.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 7:25 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have skated mice on my spey rod at the West Branch.... :mrgreen: I know of one guide who used to run "mouse" trips on the Kennebec at night back in the day.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 9:06 am 
FFIMer

Love the meeces to pieces!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 10:01 am 
FFIM-aholic

Or, Savoir Faire is everywhere...