FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2019, 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East Outlet flow
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 9:22 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Flow has been up around or just over 2500 the last several days, and according to the Brookfield site will be between there and 2700 until the end of the month. I have waded the EO at 2700 several years ago.......and got the absolute snot kicked out of me. That might be a good flow for drift boats, but it’s way too high for most anglers for wading purposes.

I’m scheduled to be up there for a week mid -October. I sure hope it goes down several hundred fps’s, because my days of wading 2700 are a long ways behind me.

It seems like good wading flows out of Maine dams are the last thing on Brookfields mind. I realize they own the dams, and make a #### ton of money off of *our* water......but they sure as hell don’t own the rivers.

If Maine’s DIFW want to sell more fishing licenses perhaps they should get together with Dam owners to make more wading friendly flows. It’s no wonder fishing license sales are way down. Damn tough to fish when the only option is to rent a Guide and drift boat the rivers.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: East Outlet flow
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 11:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

Dave M wrote:
All.......

Flow has been up around or just over 2500 the last several days, and according to the Brookfield site will be between there and 2700 until the end of the month. I have waded the EO at 2700 several years ago.......and got the absolute snot kicked out of me. That might be a good flow for drift boats, but it’s way too high for most anglers for wading purposes.

I’m scheduled to be up there for a week mid -October. I sure hope it goes down several hundred fps’s, because my days of wading 2700 are a long ways behind me.

It seems like good wading flows out of Maine dams are the last thing on Brookfields mind. I realize they own the dams, and make a #### ton of money off of *our* water......but they sure as hell don’t own the rivers.

If Maine’s DIFW want to sell more fishing licenses perhaps they should get together with Dam owners to make more wading friendly flows. It’s no wonder fishing license sales are way down. Damn tough to fish when the only option is to rent a Guide and drift boat the rivers.

Dave M

Just spent the weekend at the WB. Arrived on Friday to "2100"... It looked to be 1500 or less. Water bounced all over the place on Saturday and then dropped WAY down yesterday morning and then dropped again before coming back up to what looked like 2100.... While the fish probably are not "harmed" by these fluctuations, other than being put off their feed, it is bad for the bugs and dangerous to users of the water ways. Facebook was right.....

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 2:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
While the fish probably are not "harmed" by these fluctuations, other than being put off their feed, it is bad for the bugs and dangerous to users of the water ways.

I wouldn't say the fish aren't harmed. Sudden drops in flow can leave fish stranded. Juveniles in particular are susceptible to becoming stuck in dewatered side channels, etc.. where they can feel the affects of thermal stress and predation (e.g., avian) pretty quickly. Bigger fish tend to be less affected by such, as they tend to stay in deeper water and move on the dropping limb of the hydrograph. This has been happening on the WB way too much lately, IMO, and at a time of year when a lot of fish are stacked up in the area of river most affected by drastic changes in water level (the further downstream you are, the more tempered the response to gates being shut).

PostPosted: September 24th, 2019, 4:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yes the dropping limb of the haligraph. Once saw a pig of a brown impaled by the limb.
I guess all that time at Michigan he must have been studying as opposed to what everyone here used to insinuate he was doing. Or he could just have an app for all those good words.

Sir John Buchan