FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 7:38 pm 
FFIMer

Three Rivers Lodge – Labrador NL Part I – What I Brought (Gear)

After almost five years of considering, I finally committed to doing the TRL (Three Rivers Lodge) trip. Mailed the check on July 12 with so much excitement and anticipation! Trip happened August 16-23.

I was advised that I am held to a strict equipment limit of 50 pounds. I usually take an iterative approach to packing, but I was behind the eight ball on this trip due to the last-minute booking. Equipment consisted of:
Clothing
• Simms G3 Waders
• An extra wading belt
• Patagonia Foot Tractor Wading Boots
• Cabela’s Guide Wear Wading Jacket
• A couple pairs of Under Armour quick dry fishing pants (for travel, warm days and evenings at the lodge)
• Keen Newport H2 Sandals.
• Two pair mid weight wool socks
• Four pair light weight base layer socks
• Four pair of Long John’s in varying weights (wear as wader pant and a pair for sleeping)
• Cabela’s Guide Wear hooded jersey (quick dry, cool core, UFP)
• Six base layer tops in varying weights (base layer while fishing and one for sleeping)
• Six pair of quick dry underwear (ExOfficio or similar)
• Fleece vest
• Maine Guide Fly Shop hat
• Winter hat, pair of insulted gloves and a lighter pair of knitted gloves.

Outdoor and Fishing Gear:
• I could get three fly rods in two carbon fiber rod tubes and tape the two together (I carried this on the plane):
1. Orvis 9’ 6 weight Helios
2. Orvis 9’ 7 weight Helios
3. Orvis 9’ 8 weight Zero Gravity
• Reels/Lines:
1. Orvis Hydro’s with Cabela’s 6 weight, weight forward floating line
2. Orvis Mirage IV with Orvis power taper 7 weight, weight forward floating line
3. Orvis Mirage IV with Jim Teeny T-300 sink tip line
4. Orvis Mirage V with Cabela’s 9 weight, weight forward line
• Leaders and tippet were primarily Rio 1X and 2X. Nine-foot leaders. I brought some 3X that was not used
• I brought just about every fly I had excluding some of the exotic flies for the Pacific salmon and some of the bonefish, permit, tarpon flies
• Flies were nicely organized in my Orvis backpack that stored several different fly boxes (I could get reels in the backpack and carry this on the plane with my rod tubes)
• Orvis fly vest for storing some tools, smaller fly boxes, strike indicators, etc
• Lanyard for easy access to gink, nippers, tippet, hemostats, and a whistle
• Leatherman Wave (which I never used)
• A couple of knifes (I like to have a knife on my waist or wader pocket for quick access)
• Aluminum pliers (didn’t use)
• A couple of micro flashlights (generator is shut off from 10 pm to 6 am, so not electricity during that time)
• Two small bottles of Ben’s 100
• Bug Armour Jacket (didn’t use)
• A couple small bottles of Gink
• Three strike indicators
• Non- lead split shots
• A small number of cone heads (placing a cone head on your line before you tie a fly on is a good way to get added sink of the fly
• Fishing glasses
• A couple of long pieces of leather
• Three carabiners (small and very inexpensive)
• A small dry bag
• Cabela’s Boundary Waters Backpack (I used this as my soft side suitcase and check bag at the airport).
• Go Pro 4 with a couple mounts and charger
• iPhone 8 Plus with charger
• Metal water bottle

Stuff I didn’t bring that I will bring if I returned to TRL or would do differently:
• I would bring my own PFD (Personal Floatation Device). You spend significant amount of time traveling in small boats and canoes. The PFD the lodge provided fit fine and I had no issue with it, I just like mine better as it is better designed for rowing and casting.
• I would bring a good quality wading staff. I figured I would cut a branch to create a wading staff upon arrive to cut down on travel weight. No such luck, tress in Labrador are not ideal for designing a wading staff! I was fortunate the guides had a decent wading staff they let me borrow. I used the piece of the leather and one of my carabiners to attach to my wading belt.
• Two 7 weight fly rods. I never used the 8 weight (although I might have if we had gone on the Arctic Char trip). I think that even though the lodge suggests a floating line is all you need, if you are well versed in the use of a sinking line/tip, having one rod at your fingertips with a floating and one with a sinking line/tip is to your advantage. While I used the 6 weight rod, most of the time the wind was enough that you wanted to look to 7. If I pack three rods next time, I bring the 6 and two 7’s. Also, a few of the creeks are quite narrow. This would get me to consider a 6 weight rod in the 7’ 6” or 8’ length.
• Much of the clothes I brought was for much colder weather. Water temperatures varied from 60-65 degrees. Air temperature ranged from 40 to 78 degrees. I had a nice cabin with a good quality wood stove to get me through the nights when the temperatures fell below 60. I will focus on lightweight and very little mid weight clothing next time.
• I would not bring a net (which I did not bring), I would not bring the Leatherman, I would not bring aluminum pliers. Guide was never far away and I had my hemostats if I needed to address a quick hook removal
• While I have traveled with my Cabela’s Boundary Water Backpack, it is time to upgrade to a soft side suitcase with wheels
• While they supplied coffee cups and the such, I missed my Yeti Rambler Tumbler. I like to have my coffee in the Yeti in the am and a mixed drink in my Yeti in the pm
• I used my iPhone for all my pictures. I really need to use the Go Pro more and/or find a new camera for still photos as I really feel the Go Pro is intended for video. Either way, I have many opportunities regarding pictures and video. I hope to work on tis during my ritual local September outings.

I hope to provide additional writeups on the travel to and from, some feedback on the lodge and the people as well as a writeup about the fishing! Oh yea, I will add some photos also!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

Good stuff. Looking forward to the rest of the report (pic heavy please!).

PostPosted: September 1st, 2019, 3:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Indeed.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am 
FFIMer

I can't wait, I love these trip reports. Thank you in advance for taking the time to so it.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 8:00 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for info! Going to Riverkeeper lodge next July and your list was very helpful. Especially what you used and didn’t, and how you would change some of your fishing tackle. Thanks, very helpful!

PostPosted: September 28th, 2019, 9:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

Are we going to get part 2?

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 9:13 am 
FFIM Addict

Looks like way to much technical stuff. Labrador is wild simple country. The brook trout are also wild and most generally voracious. No catalog cover depictions needed.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 11:57 am 
FFIMer

1weight wrote:
Looks like way to much technical stuff. Labrador is wild simple country. The brook trout are also wild and most generally voracious. No catalog cover depictions needed.

Ron

Thanks. When I go I'll be sure to bring my rubber waders and waxed cotton rain gear.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 12:32 am 
FFIMer

I went to 3 rivers several years ago. I found my list, but I am sure there were other things I added, but can't remember. I tried not to look like Teddy Roosevelt on an African Safari so I packed "light". I was way under the 50 pounds, but had enough gear to get many fish and several large fish each day. If I were to go back, the only fly change I would make would be to add even more weight to my wooly buggers. I had double lead flies, but would use tungsten cone instead. I don't think my sparsity of flies was any impediment to hooking fish. It was a great trip!

2 Rods: 6wt/8wt
2 reels + 2 spools for floating & sinking in 6/8 wt
2 Pair chest waders
1 Pair light weight wading boots
4 long sleeve shirts
2 long sleeve undershirts
7 Tee shirts/7 underpants
2 pair jeans (wore 1, carried 1)
3 pair heavy socks
7 pair cotton crew socks
Bean shoes (wore them, not packed)
Sweatshirts and fleece vest
1 gore tex & 1 pvc rain jacket
Several spools tippet size 1 & 0
braided leaders of appropriate size to line weight
1 spool steel wire (for Pike)
Dozen each of
Royal tied Madam X # 6 & 8 (best dry)
#8/10 Tan Wing brown body EH Caddis
#10/12 Parachute Adams (never got a fish on this fly)
Heavy wooly buggers (black/olive) # 6&8
6 each mouse/rat pattern
Dozen each prince nymph size 8 & 10
Dozen each Hornberg size 4 & 6 (all natural color)
Dozen each Matuka in green/orange (only green caught fish) size 6
Brook Trout streamer fly # 4
Several bottles of 100% Deet and White Mountain Fly dope (could have used 55 gal drum)
Head net
Fishing gloves
Western style kerchiefs for neck protection
2 hats with wide brim
Polarized sunglasses and spare
Several pipes and pouches of tobacco + many matches
Flashlight + batteries
Compass
Canteen
Camera

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm 

After reading Kmudgn's post I got to thinking - I then looked up my equipment list for my first trip to Labrador in 2000 and my last trip in 2018 and compared the two - the results were interesting and amusing too! Like most everybody else, I brought too much of everything, but the biggest difference can be summed up by 1 word: technology 

Communication - in 2000, I bought an international phone card and used one of the 2 pay phones I knew of in Labrador to call my wife when I got there and when I was heading home - nowadays I use a Garmin InReach satellite communicator to check in every nite & send & receive texts whenever I want (not often).

Safety - back in the day I was carrying a bulky, heavy, expensive ACR Epirb (PLB)  - now, ditto on the InReach - it has an SOS button that will get you help fast anywhere on the planet.

Photography - in 2000, I brought a waterproof Nikon camera and 3 rolls of 35mm film (what's that?) - on my most recent trip, to cover all the situations adequately, I brought my iPhone, a GoPro and a waterproof Pentax digital camera - more on that later.

Navigation - in 2000, I used a primitive Garmin Geko GPS with a display that consisted of a gray screen and tiny black dots to indicate my position and my destination - lately I've been using a Garmin eTrex with a color screen & loaded with Canadian topos, but...in 2017, it was my Geko that saved my ass when my eTrex got waterlogged & crapped out!

Transportation - in 2000, I travelled up there in a hoopty, little Toyota 4Runner - since 2014, I've been going in a nice, big, comfy, computer-controlled turbo vegy diesel pickup - that gets better gas mileage than that little 4 banger!  

Entertainment - in 2000, I was toting cases of CDs (what are those?) for my music on the road - nowadays all my music is on my phone and and available for the ride and in camp as well (but not often). 

General Gear - generally speaking almost every piece of my outfit has gotten lighter & more compact - I replaced my polyester summer sleeping bag with a lightweight down bag, an AirLite air mattress has replaced my old Army air mattress, a down jacket has replaced my fleece, a pocket butane stove has replaced my big burner & propane tank, I now use a 4 piece, 4 weight rod instead of 2 piece, 5 weight, my vest is now a shirt, my rain jacket is now ultra lite & packable, 2 pairs of wool sox have replaced 6 pairs of cotton sox,  my canoe has generally been replaced by a shorter, lighter, faster kayak, dehydrated food has replaced all the cans and vodka (190 proof Everclear in extreme cases) has replaced beer.

And this discussion brings to mind a question that comes up on a regular basis - "I'm going to XYZ this season, which flies should I bring?" My first instinct is to respond "You're paying experts on the area that you're travelling to, $XXXX for this trip, ask them!" but after thinking it through, I suppose it's more fun to talk it out with the guys and the lodges certainly don't want to spoil our fantasies by telling us to forget the suitcase of flies and just bring 2 dozen of 2 patterns each...

BTW, I'm still anxiously awaiting the next installments of ZG's trip report!   

Happy Trails!