FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2019, 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maine Freighter Canoe
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 3:59 pm 
FFIMer

Hi,

Curious if anyone has experience using or fishing from these canoes? I'm looking at the 21' model for a lot of reasons but am interested in feedback about any of the sizes. They look pretty bulletproof and reportedly do well with pretty big water. I think the versatility will play well here in maine.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Matt

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm 
FFIMer

I believe the Maine freighter canoe is a very close copy of the iconic Maine Grand Lake Canoe that has been around Maine for 100 years. Originally built for Maine's large down east waters these Grand Lakers have earned their reputation for dependability and stability with large loads on large Maine waters. It is not unusual to see them with 10 or 15 hp outboards pushing them and can be operated in fairly shallow waters.
Because they can be 20+ feet in length they can be heavy and usually are trailered from place to place. Each watercraft has it's place. On a big water in a big chop or if you happen to have a large load, a Grand Laker canoe is a good place to be. It's probably a bit cumbersome for pond hopping.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 7:43 pm 
FFIMer

hatch wrote:
I believe the Maine freighter canoe is a very close copy of the iconic Maine Grand Lake Canoe that has been around Maine for 100 years. Originally built for Maine's large down east waters these Grand Lakers have earned their reputation for dependability and stability with large loads on large Maine waters. It is not unusual to see them with 10 or 15 hp outboards pushing them and can be operated in fairly shallow waters.
Because they can be 20+ feet in length they can be heavy and usually are trailered from place to place. Each watercraft has it's place. On a big water in a big chop or if you happen to have a large load, a Grand Laker canoe is a good place to be. It's probably a bit cumbersome for pond hopping.

Having spent somewhere near 3,000 days in a true ribbed Grand Laker in the last 34 years, I can tell you the "Maine Freighter" is no Grand Laker........Due to a hip injury, I am no longer able to work out of my "Laker" and occasionally work out of a Maine Freighter.....Most of my days now(87 so far this summer) are spent in a Lund Alaskan.......
The Maine Freighter is more boat than canoe, and is just about the roughest riding craft I have ever run in choppy water.......POUND! holy cow, when running my freighter with a 15 HP Honda, I am rarely ever able to run wide open.......
The freighter is infinitely more stable than the Original Grand Laker, and requires far less maintenance........Add some cushy seats, lay off the throttle, enjoy the low maintenance, but don't compare to a true Grand Laker...........

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm 
FFIMer

Well baydog I guess Marley got his critique on Maine freighter canoes. I think the jury is out on whether the Scott or Maine Freighter canoe is more of a boat than a canoe. That's a debate left up to opinion not an answerable question. All of my comments concerning handling characteristics are referring to the Grand laker. I think the Scotts big square stern model appears that someone had a Grand Laker style craft in mind when they produced it. Sorry if I offended you.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 8:00 am 
FFIM-aholic

We call it "the War Canoe". 15 hp tohatsu, runs like a champ. Used it for duck hunting, striper fishing, smallie fishing, mackerel fishing. It is a bit of a sail and you need weight in the bow. Once was a couple of miles out in Cape Cod Bay in it and some guys pulled up in the center console and asked, "is that a canoe?"

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 8:51 am 
FFIMer

Thanks guys.

Titleguy, what's your experience if any on rivers? Kennebec, Penobscot, Andro type stuff? Low maintenance, ability to handle a big load, capability on rivers and big lakes in reasonable conditions are what I'm hoping are the upsides to this rig.

Matt

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 9:03 am 
FFIM-aholic

Used it on the Penobscot several times, at Solon, at Bingham, West Branch ( Deadwater and Horserace) does great job. Always had dreams of doing the Fox Hole thing in the fall but have never gotten it organized. You can load it up certainly. I found it to be very stable, great fishing platform and takes some weather.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 9:26 am 
FFIMer

Just added a Maine freighter to our fleet of Scotts here in Labrador. Guides prefer it to the Scotts - lighter, easier to pull through rapids, and the flair below the gunwales directs splash away from the folks riding in her. Just wish they were all made of Kevlar.

R

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 10:04 am 
FFIM-aholic

I should note, The War Canoe is a Scott, not a "new" Maine Freighter. I have looked at them in Medway several times and covet an 18'....

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 10:29 am 
FFIMer

Crossroads, I'm curious what size you typically run up there? We saw almost exclusively 18'ers when we were there this summer which I get for guiding out of, no question, but I've got four kids and two dogs so the 1580lbs of capacity in the 21'er is appealing.

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 12:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

I can’t speak for the Maine Freighter, but growing up my parents would take my sister and I on trips around various waters with a 20’ Grand Laker. With two kids, two adults, fuel, etc.. there usually wasn’t a whole lot of extra room in the Laker. Whereas these were week-long trips- we tended to bring a fair amount of gear/food/etc... with us. My father accomplished this by rigging a harness under the bow of his XL Tripper and towing that behind us. I can still remember one adventurous trip up Eagle Lake to Pilsbury Island with waves big enough that the bottom of the Tripper was riding even with the top of my father’s shoulders. No issues. You can’t just tow a canoe without rigging a harness, however, or it will roll.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2019, 12:38 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Matt, we run mostly 21's here - big waters, wind and big waves - but have 16s and 19s on smaller waters. Frankly, I've never noted the weight limits, but the 21s handle four guys (three of whom are typically hefty) and gear. We have used four different canoes - Scott, Maine FC, and two different freighters, one whose name I cannot think of with the high bow. The Maine FC is the guides' favorite with the Scotts a close second. The high-bow is a terror with a cross wind.