FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2019, 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: strange thing
PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 1:34 pm 
FFIMer

I was at camp shutting some windows and doors getting ready for night. When I went to close the back door I heard a scratching sound. I looked down and pushed up against the screen door was a small animal. It was almost dark so visibility was not good. The animal was dark colored with some white. Ya, I thought the same thing. I carefully opened the screen to let out what I thought may be a skunk. To My surprise it flew out. It was a duck. How the hell did a duck get in my camp? It's far from an airtight building but you couldn't throw a duck through the cracks. The next morning I noticed some stuff I had on the fireplace mantle had been knocked on the floor and the chimney flue door on the side of the chimney was open. Did this duck enter the camp through the chimney? I can think of no other logical possibility. Good thing I found him. I guess you could say he is a lucky duck. (Sorry I couldn't help myself)

Post subject: Re: strange thing
PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 2:49 pm 
FFIMer

There are several duck species local to Maine that are cavity nesters like Mergansers, Wood Ducks, and Goldeneye, among others. Could be related.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 4:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Could have inadvertently been duck soup.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 8:21 pm 
FFIMer

Not terribly uncommon for a Goldeneye or Merganser to be found in a camp......Little late for it now, but the buggers come down chimneys looking for a good nest sight and find themselves in a camp. Fortunately you were around to let her out, as they usually make a stinky mess of uninhabited camps before they expire looking for a way out........

PostPosted: June 29th, 2019, 6:27 pm 

Another coincidence! Just this morning my neighbor downta camp told me a similar story about a "duck in his duct" while his place was being built a few years back...