FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2019, 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redemption in Rangeley
PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 3:43 pm 

Like I've mentioned recently, I only visit the Rangeley region about once every 10 years, so for me to go twice in 1 year is very unusual...but on Saturday I felt compelled to go for 2 reasons - I wanted to stretch out my compromised trout season one more Saturday and I also wanted to follow up on some scouting I did 5 weeks prior. Five weeks earlier there was still lots of snow in the deep woods and my way down one road was blocked by drifts - aside from the fact I almost buried myself in another mud hole, trip 2 was very different.
My first stop was a popular area river - by the looks of the grass, the water level had come up about a foot after the recent rains, but the river was still completely fishable - the water temp was 63* at midday and there was multitude of different bugs in the air but nothing in real abundance, except blackflies & mosquitos, & no fish rising - the conditions & my timing seemed perfect - I fished a bunch of sweet water along several miles of river and all I had to show for it was a couple of small brookies - none of the few fishermen I encountered had any luck - hmmmm, maybe I'll never figure that one out...
For the afternoon, I headed off to a small stream out in the woods that I had visited for the first time, 5 weeks earlier - on the first visit, the water looked like Club Med for brookies but was cold & fishless - on Saturday, it was as full of brookies as a small stream could be - I went on to have one of my finest outings of the season both in terms of quantity and pure fishing satisfaction - it's a very user friendly stream in beautiful surroundings - kind of a rare bird in my world...and the thing that surprised me the most was that there was no one else to be seen nor was there any sign of anyone being there this season! The nice thing about having a few western Maine options in my bag is that they allow me to extend my season a bit - I might just become a regular visitor out there...hope the rest of you are having some luck - tight lines!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 9:39 am 
FFIMer

it such a great place I love it up there tight lines

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 5:53 am 
FFIMer

Great area up there. Glad it went well for you Brian. To find a brook to fish by yourself is rare.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 7:39 am 
FFIM-aholic

Foley is a liar, no fish there, don't waste your time....