FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 18th, 2019, 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They almost got me
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 9:46 am 
FFIM-aholic

Madison was wadable. A little high but wadable.
But since it's an up and down time of year and both the air and the water temperature were in the 50's I figured I'd be ready for a quick level change.

I wear two wader belts and tighten the upper chest elastic at the very top of my waders. I made double sure this morning. It turned out to have been a good thing to do. Because I was only about 20-feet from shore and the level jumped - I mean jumped up.
I was in mid-calf water and then without moving, I was in mid-thigh water. By the time I reached the shore I was on my tip-toes and water was seeping in around the tight elastic water top. I just kept on trucking for shore thinking things like did I zip my vest pocket when I put that fly box away, don't hold your breath when the cold water hits, glad I have fleece on and such. But I made it with minimal seepage. They almost gave me my first dunking of the year but no cigar.

I did get a small brown.

Post subject: Re: They almost got me
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 10:10 pm 
FFIMer

"Minimal seepage"—words to live by. Glad you made it safely.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 11:02 pm 
FFIMer

Two wader belts? Isn't that kind of like two condoms?
Truthfully, I hear you. That place jumps in the time it takes to tighten your wader belt.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2019, 7:00 am 
FFIMer

I remember talking to a friend about his near miss in Solon.
He said his first thought was his fishing friends would all say, " At least he died doing something he loved."
His second thought was, " Screw that! I'm gonna be dead!"

And he swam for his life.

Glad you made it out alive,Mike.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2019, 10:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

Yikes - glad you're observant enough to notice and got out OK - scary! I was wading the Kennebago years ago - it was at the very edge of being able to cross. I made it over with water briefly lapping over my waders. The water either came up a bit or I crossed back in a slightly deeper spot. I felt my footing start to go as I was about half way back, then I felt the water over the top of my waders. Then that brief moment hit, (similar to the moment between when you know you're going to crash your car and then actually crashing your car - a brief moment - but it's there) the moment when you make the decision to leave your feet and swim. Thank God for the wading belt and years of surfing - it was a short swim, but a swim none the less. Another tip - wear your jacket over your waders, not tucked in. Glad you're OK!!!!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2019, 2:50 pm 
FFIMer

Glad you made it. Scary stuff especially with the water at a cooler temp. Time for I little sip of Irish whiskey after that :)

PostPosted: June 4th, 2019, 3:54 pm 
FFIMer

glad you are ok tight lines

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 6:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

Salvy, Ya - kinda like two condoms but one wader belt is through belt loops built into the waders and the other hold the holster for my wading staff so the two are serving different functions. I normally keep the wader belt that holds the holster fairly loose so I can swing the holster around to whichever side I'm using the staff on but whenever conditions warrant I wear it fairly tight.

All in all it wasn't as bad as it probably sounds. It did get deep but there were rips and a rock outcropping right below me which would have given me a way out without being swept very far. I was also in a gravel section so I didn't have a lot of bowling ball sized rocks to deal with.

The trouble with so much of the Kennebec is there seems to be a trench along the shorelines. You take about three steps in mid-thigh water and come up onto a gravel bar with the next step and the water is knee deep - great wading. Then the water level comes up and you head for shore only to find those three mid-thigh steps are over your belly-button and somehow further than you remember. :roll: :shock: