FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 25th, 2019, 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6/1 at Camp
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 6:53 am 
FFIM Addict

Just another boring report from the salmon waters of GLS...or bass.

Younger brother spent all week from Memorial day to Sunday (6/2) at camp. Stubborn as he is, he stayed with dry flies 90% of the time, and struggled with numbers- but apparently the 2 good fish he landed on top were epic. The water started to step down, and Friday night when I arrived it was "down" to -800CFS. I went to the Meadow and unlike Jeff, went deep when needed. Landed 3. ( all on PT in #20). Plans for an early rise were met by ME, but missed due to Bud Lite flu by HIM.

Into the dam pool-alone. Who would have thought? I fished it HARD...and landed 1 salmon on a floating smelt- and missed another. Then, I found the school of trucker trout, and I left. Fished the heavy water, but couldn't really get down deep enough- so I went and cooked breakfast.

Then mid day- down stream. Fishing in the sunlight changes fishing to hunting....and I hunt fish. When I found a fish that would naturally move, I worked him until one of us surrenders... mostly me. I did see many other fishers, and saw one fall in like I had done earlier that day (tree limb unseen- nasty)...had a good time and the numbers were better, but not good. Later in the afternoon, some significant number of Hendricksons came off, but no fish really rose to them. Should the sun shine today- it will be ON.

The evening rise- on the Meadow and the bugs were just unconsious...brutal. I took the collar.

Sunday, I was up at 4:30 and into wet by 5am---the picnic area was empty. Lots of church goes apparently. I reluctantly fished the Tub...and took 2-3 pound smallies that fought like bulls, and spit in my face when I released them. The salmon (and I did catch 3) were vets and were suffering PTHS (Post trauma hook Sticking)...and I left to try above in the Picnic area...nada.

Then down onto the sands in the corner and in the riffles below the Tub--- Ahhhh!

Ended on a fish at 9am, and went to camp to see my brother and friend off for the rides home-- they were gone already...maybe they were catching last Mass. I cleaned camp (it needed it!) and was on the dirt by 10;30 with stinky dog (who was VERY HAPPY to be riding away from GLS!!). The Little River road is even in more poor shape, but the Stud MIll road was good and I didn't meet a truck until I was almost to tar.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: 6/1 at Camp
PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 10:25 am 
FFIMer

nice report i will be glad to get out fishing latter after i find out tommorrow about my heart and if i need anther operation tight lines