FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 19th, 2019, 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making do
PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 10:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

Last evening I headed to my placate my desire to fish. I had fished a new run to me in the early AM and wanted to give it another shot. That morning when breaking down my rod the ferrule pop seemed especially robust. And right away a slight tug seemed odd. Well the reason the male slide was still in the female. The glue bond had let go and the thread wraps were unfurling. As luck would have it a fresh batch of ferrule cement had arrived on Wednesday. Good luck or deja vu, I’m not sure which but it can be fixed.
Anyhow when I returned to my home away from home I hung my waders to dry and hung my vest also as it had gone from 48* at 0500 to 70*+ by 0900. That morning I had fished a new to me section and I thought that if vacant would give it another go. As it was someone else was there so I headed to my usual spot. As I was getting set I had my rod lined with spare tip, my waders on wading staff on and went to grab my vest.... which it seems was still in garage drying out. Panic do I have time to drive 70+ miles round trip and still get some fishing in. Or do I have enough of anything close to give a valiant effort. I chose the later. Finding an old furled leader in a reel case. Grabbing some new tippet from my supply bag. Trying to locate some shot for nymphing. I had tied up a few blond PT nymphs earlier and had them in a film container as that morning that had been the fly a couple fish favored. Then it was time to rummage in my gear bag. I found an old flybox from 30 years ago, all that loaded into my waist pack I generally use in Labrador along with 2 splitshot gleaned from a break off I found that morning in a tree. One of which I dropped trying to get it on my rig.
As would have it as I waded into position all set to hopefully continue my success with a nymph, there were fish rising in front of me. And some of the porpoising fish looked more like a submarine of today versus the Nautilus. After about a half dozen drifts of my nymph rig with 1-1/2 eyes watching the scene on the surface before me I switched up to a dry rig. There seemed to be caddis on the menu. I remembered seeing a light Vermont hares ear dry from back in the 80’s. Second drift fish on. After a half a dozen more on that fly, I decided to change it up as the caddis had left the stage and it appeared the fish were taking emergers. Sulfur’s were just starting to show so I was looking for something close. I found a tattered yellowish fly that was bare shank except for “some” thread from the eye to some remaining calf body wing. The rear wasn’t much better with thread that had to be nipped that was entangled in the tailing material. A little dried up Xink (powdered paragon) for flotant mainly to hold in the film. An unsuspecting fish on that fly. Then I found a curved shank (emerger/caddis pupa) with a stripped hackle quill body and hares foot wing pad. That hooked the fish of the evening that since I didn’t carry my net and as I tried to beach, came free a couple feet from the shore. The best night of the season and just making do.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Making do
PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 6:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Lucky dog... sounds like that one may be hard to beat!!!

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 7:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great story - thanks for sharing! I was doing a vest inventory (I keep 2; 1 at home, 1 at camp) and thought, "Man - I carry too much $#!T". I often think I can over think things - your story is exactly what I'm talking about. Well done!

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 2:39 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Outstanding Ron! Making do... I salvaged a horribly torn up clouser the other day when I forgot my saltwater bag. Caught three fish

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 4:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have yet to use any bamboo this year...wish I were fishing YOUR streams! Nice to read about rising fish-

Hutch