FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memorial Day -GLS
PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 7:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

As with most of the state, fishing this Memorial Day weekend was abysmal.

Here is the report: As always, I take my personal day for Friday...but a skunk intervened. It seems my older lab Molls has a run in with a stinker last weekend, and the result is that most of my house is ode -de- skunk….and I have a wife who is part bloodhound. She is in the process of washing every single part of my home...over and over again. I have taken 17 bags of “too skunky to save” books, clothes, rugs, and more to the dump. Currently there is an entire garage full of dump to go…

So, what does this have to do with fishing? Glad you asked….it kept me from going Thursday after school. Typically I am on a dirt road by 4pm...this year I had a bucket of lysol and a rubber glove. We HAD two chocolate labs...now we have 2 peroxide blonde labs- nice highlights! SHE has washed Molls 15 times...and there is no combination of cleaning products as yet untried.

They don’t work. Tears, blame and acrimony are shadows in my home. I helped her clean and went to the dump, and picked out the few things I can keep (currently those things live in the mini-van which has been deemed SAFE).

BY 7pm she had run out of steam and I asked what the plan was for Friday (my personal day to fish---or wash dogs)...she said she couldn’t think of anything I was/am qualified to do unsupervised...and apparently my sad doggie eyes toucher her soul and she said I could hit the road.

Think roadrunner blowing past the coyote…...whhhhoooosh- I was gone! About 9:30 I was dirt driving and pounding the Blues...with stinky dog riding shotgun.

Water was 770 CFS on Friday...and fishing could happen. WE found the weather a might wet, but were active and landed a few--- but when the light came onto the water,a nd fish could be spotted- we dared to hope.

Water went to 900+ CFS. STill, we worked it...and went into the lower river by boat from the lake----not a fish to hand. The DOg Doctor hit them in the glide by canoe...5 fish to hand---but by boat in the UPPER river???? Parker and I tied flies along with Bill.

Oh...water went to 1100 CFS- and topped out around 1250CFS...Sunday, we fished the one small secret place we know at that level- and Bill and I hooked 5, and I landed 1 salmon. I was top man. Oh...brook trout stocking happened, and we don’t count fishing for them when we can still see the tracks from the truck…

I watched out front, where we should have been seeing good fishers do well on salmon- with a possible Hendrickson rise...in total, I saw about 10 people ALL weekend in the cable pool.

Talked to the biologist at the dam...he said the lake is 95%+ full and the fishway is still closed, but water is running so high it is running into the fishway and fish have come into the ladder…

The lake is fishing decently, and he said boats are catching some great togue- and good numbers. His high boat that day had landed 30 fish. Our camp did not land 30 salmon all weekend.

Parker and Jeff will be there all week- probably hoping for a break in the flows, but also using the boats.

As they are there all week….and I will return on Friday...I left stinky dog with them. SHE was pleased.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: Memorial Day -GLS
PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 8:48 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, You have probably heard of tomato based product for deskunking dogs. Tomato paste, Juice, sauce, or the most effective just mash up tomatoes. Have used it with some success. Supposedly the acid in tomatoes counter acts the chemicals in the skunk secretion. Good luck.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 9:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

My wife sticks to the following skunked dog treatment.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4-1/2 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish soap

Mix and scrub on dog. Let dog sit lathered for a few moments while using a toothbrush with the solution to work the area around the eyes and ears.

We had a wedding to attend in Greenville Saturday, so after dog training- we headed that way. No fishing, though the streams that we crossed looked great. Sunday was all about digging up the back yard and installing a crushed stone patio (in lieu of the lawn the dogs murdered). Today was reserved for a quick shooting lesson at the LLB facility for the wife and Titleguy’s SO, and then the wife and I met up with our dog trainer for some bird work.

I’m hopeful to see some time on the water soon. Camp roads are still a bit wet to travel, unfortunately.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 9:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

“a bucket of Lysol and a rubber glove” No wonder she kicked you in the clear. You were only giving 50%. And you left your dog behind with strangers. Who was watching said dog playing with the skunk. Hopefully better days are before you.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 11:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
My wife sticks to the following skunked dog treatment.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4-1/2 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish soap

Mix and scrub on dog. Let dog sit lathered for a few moments while using a toothbrush with the solution to work the area around the eyes and ears.

^^ THIS ^^

100% effective.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm 
FFIMer

thank you for the up date I am only living 35 minutes away but have not fished the stream yet this year and with having a triple by pass last October and waiting to see if I am going to have a defliber but in june may not get to fish it at all this year

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 1:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

Calvin,
Best of luck to you. May you get well enough and strong enough to get back out.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 2:19 pm 
FFIMer

I sure hope to tight lines

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 6:23 pm 
FFIMer

Fish can be caught at 1350 CFS in the stream and when it drops to 1150 it seems nice and mellow.
There are people landing a few fish everyday but they are all fishing the bath tub, hatchery or the dam pool.
If you are 6-1” or taller you can get to other areas. You might not drown, you should have a wading stick of stout proportions.
Yesterday at noon just as the water dropped l fished from below small falls to the base of the meadow.
It was a lot like fishing in a drift boat in Wyoming- no stopping.
Current pushed pretty good but going along and casting a sink tip with flies that are too big accounted for 6 nice 17 to 19” fish in an hour and a half.
I was told the water temperature yesterday morning was 48 degrees

PostPosted: May 31st, 2019, 10:12 am 
FFIMer

I was also at GLS this past week starting Sun. As noted, the flows were high. Temps on my thermometer ranged from 44-48. I did manage fish every day at the bathtub below little falls on Mickey Finn and purple color soft hackle. I had a couple of fish on line with a Gov. Aiken, but lost via LDR. A total of two Hendrickson were seen. There were some rising fish in the Meadow and one was taken on a dry by a member of my clump of fishers.

As for wading: I am not 6'1" and guess that I am not manly enough, so I did not try wading out very far in the strong current and tall water., especially when the flow topped out at around 1500. In fact, if I waded about 10 ft. into the water past the big rock at Pick nick I was almost into water above my chest highs.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 11:26 am 
FFIMer

kmudgn,

I think you missed the sarcasm of my post, the water was stupid high and trying to wade most places was crazy.
When I spoke to you at the bath tub the water was indeed too high to fish in the picnic pool.
However there are places to fish even at 1350 which was the level when we talked.

For years we just gave up at 1000cfs and tied flies/drank beer.
Fishing and walking the length of the stream for 35 years has resulted in finding space to fish most times.
Having a camp now on the stream has allowed us to experience things a little differently than in years past.

The dam pool is restricted at the outflow.

Long falls and lower falls are plugs to the flow and the water stacks up above them.
If you get up above either far enough there is safe wading in very small areas. Below either there is space to fish BUT the flow speed is a hazard. Knowing those places and getting to them is the trick.

For example the meadow had several places where the water was not too deep but you had to bushwhack to get to them.
Being tall helps cut off some of the bushwhacking but the meadow 25 yards below the ledge was wade able for anybody, in front of the maple tree above the ledge and below the island it was not no matter your size. Getting there was a pure pain and miserable slog.

I seldom fish the named areas anymore, fewer fish is the result, those places are popular for a reason.
But I'm to the point that one fish is enough most days.