FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 20th, 2019, 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Better Bugger.........
PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 3:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

........with apologies to Russell Blessing, I’m convinced that using modern materials results in a way more effective Wooly Bugger.

Here’s my version:

Hook: Tiemco 300
Size 10 (6XL)
Bead: Black 4 mm
Weight: 20 wraps of .020 lead free wire.......superglue it, and shove it up into the bead, making sure the weight is all on the front half of the hook
Thread: Black 6/0 Uni
Tail: Black Marabou
Tail Flash: Chartreuse Krystal flash.....4 strands per side
Rib: Chartreuse Ultra Wire .....brassie
Body: Chartreuse Ice Dub
Wing: The grizzly junk feathers at the back of a Whiting Saddle......the ones you’d never use otherwise

Tie on the tail, then the Krystal flash, tie on the ultra wire rib.........dub the body........tie on the Whiting saddle feather at the * front* ( eye) of the hook.......wrap three or four tight wraps right behind the bead.......spiral wrap tightly to the tail.......catch the feather with the wire, and spiral wrap the wire through the feather.

Obviously not revolutionary, but certainly evolutionary. None of that lifeless chenille that the original used.......and the body really pops with the Ice Dub. For Brookies I’d probably substitute bright orange Ice Dub for the body, and orange Krystal flash. If you want it more subdued I’d go with black Ice Dub on the body, and either red, black, or pearl k flash. I often tie them up with a pearl Ice Dub body for bright days.

I know many traditionalists would say the “best” streamer ever invented would be the Gray Ghost.......some might say Black Ghost........I’m convinced it’s the Wooly Bugger. Tie up a few of these.......I doubt you’ll be disappointed in your results.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 11:17 pm 
FFIMer

Yes. The WB is untouchable.

I tie the the marabou tail and don't trim it. Twist it and wrap it up the shank instead of chenille. Fast, cheap, and easy. Pick it out with an old wire brush from your Taco toolbox.

Woolly Buggers should be heavy and expendable. Dump them in the crappiest of LWD.