FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 19th, 2019, 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GLS report 5/10
PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 6:06 am 
FFIM Addict

Slow...to very slow. 777CFS puts waders at a disadvantage. We did catch fish- and if one were in the Tub, could have 7-8 in a morning. The lower river has some fish, but tough to reach. Fewer in the top of the river. All things being equal, if the water drops this week I expect it to be a FAIR year...both Parker and I don't think there are as many fish returning to the river as years past....the stocking program changes have significantly effected the numbers in the river. Gates still closed.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: GLS report 5/10
PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 7:02 am 
FFIMer

I was told yesterday the fish way will be opened permanently and stay open year round. By order of the Federal authority for alewife passage. The state Of Maine is reportedly protesting the order.

This will ruin the spring fishery as the fish will not stay in the stream (dam pool) over the winter.
There will be a short run for the sucker spawn and smelts but the opening day party may be over.
There may be a fall fishery, but with the short fall season at GLS fishing success may be less than in the past.

This will also harm the local businesses that struggle to stay in business.

Out of curiosity when was the last recorded alewife run in the system?
I thought they adversely effected the smelt population.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 8:19 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

I am most assuredly NOT the expert on GLS that Hutch, Parker, Gussa, et. Al. Are, and I don’t pretend to be. That having been said.......I’ve been fishing GLS A few days per year every year since the early 90’s.......in other words......going on 30 years now.

I can’t say I’m surprised at all by Hutch’s and Greg’s thoughts. At least for me, the fishing there has declined significantly in the last decade, or so. The LL’s I now catch don’t average nearly what they did 15 years ago, in length and girth.......and ( again for ME) I’d bet a productive evening averages less than half the numbers I used to catch. Either I’m a much worse flyfisher than I was 15 years ago ( doubtful) or the Fishing there has significantly declined.

If it gets much worse, my days of heading Downeast two hours will either be significantly reduced.......or cease altogether......?Which would be a shame, as I’m aware that the businesses there depend on traffic.

IMO, this fishery is too valuable a resource to lose, so I’d like Maine DIFW to get off their proverbial asses and do something to improve it.

I suppose the same could be said for the Upper Andro.......Solon; Madison; Skowhegan; Shawmut, and several other well known and formerly productive stretches of moving water(s) in this state.

Dave M

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 11:39 am 
FFIM Addict

For what it’s worth Dave, the fish the department sampled a decade ago at GLS we’re amongst the best size, growth and condition factor on record at WGL, we’ll above the statewide average. I don’t care who manages a fishery- but one thing is for sure- they can’t hold a fishery at such a level forever (given food cycles, natural events that affect mortality, etc...). The regional biologists cut the LLS stocking down from 12k fish to 10k fish to get that kind of growth and conditioning.

As far as the size of the run of fish into the stream- it’s still early. A lot more salmon will be entering the system in the next two weeks or so.

Regarding the fishway- I’m an optimist. With increased access to the lake- the kelts should recondition faster, affording more time and energy for growth. That also means more mouths to feed in the lake for the portion of the year those fish are back in the lake. So I wouldn’t change the stocking program until that has some time to sort itself out. I would make the stream C&R and open it to year round angling though (with seasonal closures around the major spawning beds). But that’s just me, and it would take an act of legislature- since the season at GLS was set via legislation previously.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm 

Parker may be right about how leaving the fishway open year round will affect the opening day fishery. But I'm not sure that keeping fish in habitat they don't want to be in all winter so we can fish for them in the spring is the kind of management we ought to encourage.

As for sea run alewives and smelts--they coexisted in West Grand for thousands of years before we showed up to build dams. I suspect they'll do so again. They do in Tunk Lake.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/21/outdoors/gouldsboro-man-hauls-25-pound-togue-out-of-tunk-lake/