FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 24th, 2019, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rangeley Report
PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 5:46 pm 

I make it to the Rangeley region, on average, once every 10 years or so - I was due, so yesterday I went - the short report is don't go...yet.
I had a quick, uneventful trip up - didn't see 1 moose, which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago - first thing I did upon my arrival was turn off Rt 16 and promptly buried half my truck up to the frame in a muddy ditch - doh! Once the sun came up a friendly local fella stopped and gave me a yank out - I then proceeded up the Kennebago by truck, then bike and then finally on foot - another friendly woodsman stopped and not only gave me a lift upstream but showed me a couple of his favorite, lightly fished spots. The river was fast and high, but completely fishable - the water temp was 46* and there was no sign of any fish or bugs - it was a fishless visit but very productive as I re-acquainted my self with the river & learned a few new spots...
From there I headed to a completely new (to me) stream that I had noticed while doing some armchair scouting - when I got within 1.75 miles of the stream I encountered a stretch of road that was still covered in snow, so having lost my stomach for getting stuck, I started walking again - shortly, the owner of the last camp I past drove up and not only offered me a ride into the stream, but also offered some decent intel on it and the area - the stream ended up being a dream stream - perfect flow, gorgeous deep pools & runs, convenient walking, wide open stream bed for easy casting - only problem was, there were no fish there - I'd be willing to bet in 2 weeks that stream will be brookie central...
From there I traveled to the other side of the region to some new spots on a stream that I was already familiar with - once again the flows were perfect & the water was clear - I didn't even take a cast on that stream & now I'm kinda sorry I didn't even though the results prolly would have been consistent with the others...and from there I headed home.
One of the reasons I've never spent much time up in Rangeley is because the area just felt foreign to me, but after after all those displays of local hospitality, I felt like I was right back on my home turf & if that new stream ends up fishing half as good as it looked, chances are good I'll be going back at least every 2 years...good luck wherever your fly drops!

Attachments:
new stream 1.JPG
new stream 1.JPG [ 109.64 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]
new stream 2.JPG
new stream 2.JPG [ 111.33 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]
new stream 3.JPG
new stream 3.JPG [ 81.86 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rangeley Report
PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 8:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

brian foley wrote:
I make it to the Rangeley region, on average, once every 10 years or so - I was due, so yesterday I went - the short report is don't go...yet.
I had a quick, uneventful trip up - didn't see 1 moose, which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago - first thing I did upon my arrival was turn off Rt 16 and promptly buried half my truck up to the frame in a muddy ditch - doh! Once the sun came up a friendly local fella stopped and gave me a yank out - I then proceeded up the Kennebago by truck, then bike and then finally on foot - another friendly woodsman stopped and not only gave me a lift upstream but showed me a couple of his favorite, lightly fished spots. The river was fast and high, but completely fishable - the water temp was 46* and there was no sign of any fish or bugs - it was a fishless visit but very productive as I re-acquainted my self with the river & learned a few new spots...
From there I headed to a completely new (to me) stream that I had noticed while doing some armchair scouting - when I got within 1.75 miles of the stream I encountered a stretch of road that was still covered in snow, so having lost my stomach for getting stuck, I started walking again - shortly, the owner of the last camp I past drove up and not only offered me a ride into the stream, but also offered some decent intel on it and the area - the stream ended up being a dream stream - perfect flow, gorgeous deep pools & runs, convenient walking, wide open stream bed for easy casting - only problem was, there were no fish there - I'd be willing to bet in 2 weeks that stream will be brookie central...
From there I traveled to the other side of the region to some new spots on a stream that I was already familiar with - once again the flows were perfect & the water was clear - I didn't even take a cast on that stream & now I'm kinda sorry I didn't even though the results prolly would have been consistent with the others...and from there I headed home.
One of the reasons I've never spent much time up in Rangeley is because the area just felt foreign to me, but after after all those displays of local hospitality, I felt like I was right back on my home turf & if that new stream ends up fishing half as good as it looked, chances are good I'll be going back at least every 2 years...good luck wherever your fly drops!

Nice report. Reports are that the moose took it hard at the end of the winter. Multiple shed antler hunters are reporting finding 20-40 dead in a weekend. Mostly calves. Ticks.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 10:10 pm 

Nice report, Brian.

Formerly Larvae wrote:

Nice report. Reports are that the moose took it hard at the end of the winter. Multiple shed antler hunters are reporting finding 20-40 dead in a weekend. Mostly calves. Ticks.

We saw two moose on quick trip to some Kennebec Gorge tribs on Saturday. One was at the DOT lot in Moscow and looked like it had had a good winter. The second was deep in the woods off the Capital Road, and looked like hell.

A few trout were caught in a pond, none of them large.

T-5 days to my annual Baxter trip, and for the first time I think the last week of May might be too early. At this point, I'm just hoping they open the road so we can go.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2019, 6:24 am 
FFIMer

hey Brian ,nice report in case you were thinking of heading straight north next weekend there is a particular water shed you and I discuss sometimes in "the county" that's been running just a tiny bit over 400cfs for a week now and water temps have been 48-53 degrees consistently for the last 6 or 7 days :wink: :wink: ..just saying

I will be in that area fishing for 10 days starting Friday 5/24 !!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2019, 8:05 am 
FFIMer

nice report I wish I could get up there this year but with out a car I will have to wait and see tight
lines

PostPosted: May 20th, 2019, 12:30 pm 

FL, yeah, all my observations over the past several seasons confirm the notion that there are significantly fewer moose out there than 10 years ago - although, I regularly run into to folks who insist there are just as many - just two weeks ago up in Houlton, a guy whose opinion I respect very much, told me, "they're out there", without much concern...a friend of mine just returned from his annual week-long Allagash trip - he said a) there are not as many moose up there as there used to be and b) they encountered 4 dead moose up there...

CDC, what a coinkydink - it just so happens that I'll be up in the County again on Saturday, fishing the very uppermost parts of that watershed - 2 weeks ago when I was paddling on "that" river, I passed a lady on the shore at the junction of 2 major streams and she said she had caught 2...if you see an old, fiberglass kayak with an old Dodge truck strapped to the bottom of it, be sure to wave (or stop & help!) - good luck!

Calvin, the Rangeley trip is definitely a challenge w/o a vehicle - fortunately, there is no shortage of opportunities in your neighborhood - one of my favorite Downeast streams is just the other side of Meddybemps from you - Tight Lines!

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 9:03 am 
FFIMer

for sure a lot of good brookie trout fishing around here and grandlake stream is 35 minutes the trout are not as big but just as much fun tight lines

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2019, 6:37 am 
FFIMer

Good to see you got out Brian. I was over to Grants helping to get camp ready and the water was 39" still pretty cold. A few fish taken, but slow. The next few weeks should be good fishing.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2019, 7:54 pm 
FFIMer

Did you drag a canoe on oquasic landing,cupsuptic lake Tuesday.? Say a guy dragging on two wheeled rig. Thought he looked familiar. Was it you ? Cub