FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 18th, 2019, 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are there any flies
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 10:10 am 
FFIM Addict

.....that just don’t, no matter how much you use them, that simply don’t catch fish for you?

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is Blane Chocletts Game Changer. The first time I sawthat fly I said to myself Bingo! That looks like a great fly. Note I said “looks”. I tied up a bunch of them in various colors, and fished them a lot that first year. I haven’t caught one trout or Smallmouth on the damned things. Not a freaking one. WTH? It just looks, and acts, so nice in the water, but it just doesn’t work for me. Now, I will grant you that I don’t fish streamers much, but I should have caught something on the damn things. Nope. Nada. Another season of no trout and these things are going into the garbage. Anybody else have flies that look great, but don’t catch squat?

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Are there any flies
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 10:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Never caught a fish on a sparkle pupa, or a dancing caddis or any number of la Fontaine fies. However he gets a big vote of approval for his Duck Butt Dun.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 11:12 am 

dryflie wrote:
Never caught a fish on a sparkle pupa, or a dancing caddis or any number of la Fontaine fies. However he gets a big vote of approval for his Duck Butt Dun.

Agree on the sparkle pupa. But the sparkle emerger is a whole other story.

I've never done much on a Gray Ghost. I fish a bugger variant of it that kills, and many other featherwing streamers that fish great, but the official Carrie Stevens version--meh. Tried it every way from full dress with all the bells and whistles to simplify with a marabou wing, and NADA.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 11:45 am 

Sorry--this info on ice out dates ended up in the wrong place.

Last edited by Jeff Reardon on April 22nd, 2019, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 12:53 pm 
FFIMer

One fly that always seems to be in one of my boxes and has never produced for me is the Pale Evening Dun. It LOOKS like it should be a killer. Maybe it is, just not for me.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Tinsnip wrote:
One fly that always seems to be in one of my boxes and has never produced for me is the Pale Evening Dun. It LOOKS like it should be a killer. Maybe it is, just not for me.

Commonly called Sulfurs we see these flies on the West Branch in June but only for a week or two. Size and color are critical for any success.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 2:46 pm 
FFIMer

GREEN caddis nymphs.... ive tied a bunch and many guys swear by them, but I never do anything with them.

success with a fly has a lost to do with confidence. confidence means that you give the fly TIME to work, and you gives your best effort on TECHNIQUE. If you don't believe in it, you slap it in the water a few times and stuff it back in the box. Then again, if you tie on a new fly and catch a fish quickly... it's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 3:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

dryflie wrote:
Tinsnip wrote:

Commonly called Sulfurs we see these flies on the West Branch in June but only for a week or two. Size and color are critical for any success.

Sulphurs on the WB and Cornuta on the K- yellow comparadun or Quigley or klink is deadly.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 5:29 pm 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
Tinsnip wrote:

Well there you go. Right time and right place I guess. So I'll hang onto the few I have and hope to coincide with time and place. Thanks! I learn stuff here all the time.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 5:36 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have to agree with Dave on the Game Changer- haven't caught shite on it...

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 6:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hornberg schmornberg - zero, zilch, nada. Sparkle pupa not far behind. I have zero confidence in them so I don't fish them much, which is likely part of the problem. That, and a lack of talent.....

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 7:22 pm 

Salmosebago wrote:
Hornberg schmornberg - zero, zilch, nada. Sparkle pupa not far behind. I have zero confidence in them so I don't fish them much, which is likely part of the problem. That, and a lack of talent.....

Shocked about the hornberg. You must not fish ponds? Although I have also taken some very fine West Branch salmon and Deerfield brookies on them when the stoneflies were about.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm 
FFIM Addict

The feather game changers are better than the original mops. They move better in the water. And some of the variations that mix and match heads from some of the other Great Lakes area meat flies are even better. But- keep them smaller than the 6” stuff being thrown out there. Our freshwater baitfish run smaller.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2019, 4:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Correct Jeff - I'm more of a moving water guy. I keep saying that I'll hit more still water but just don't take the time. Maybe this year......

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

Shocked about the hornberg. You must not fish ponds? Although I have also taken some very fine West Branch salmon and Deerfield brookies on them when the stoneflies were about.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2019, 4:57 am 
FFIM-aholic

Prince nymphs are pretty low down my list, hornburgs and generally wooley buggers

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau