FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 19th, 2019, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tackle....
PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 8:22 am 
FFIM Addict

All..........

I was very fortunate the last couple of weeks to get a new 4/5 weight reel that is no longer made, but that I’ve coveted for many years now. There was a line on the reel, but the seller didn’t recall whether it was a four, or a five, and exactly what company made it.

I didn’t like that, as I want to know exactly what I’m using........so I called Terry and ordered up a new Triangle Taper four weight. I put it on yesterday. I abhor those stupid loops that most companies put on lines now, and the first thing I do is to cut the damned things off.....And put on a seven turn backing to line knot, and superglue that. There’s no way that knot fails.

Then I put on the leader with a Whitlock Super Glue Splice........so there’s a seemless connection between leader and line. Sub seven weight that works extremely well.......Seven weight and above I always use that seemless connection but also use the tag and put on an additional nail knot, and superglue that. It simply cannot fail.

For a five or six weight line the butt is .021, for a four weight the butt is .019, and for a three weight the leader butt is .017. If you use a seven weight I use .023, and for an 8 or 9 weight I go with .025.

You do have to shave down the end of the leader material to get it through the hole in the needle, so make sure you have some very sharp razor blades.......BUT this butt will last an entire season, even if you fish a lot.

Get those reels greased up, get new leaders on, and get ready to rock.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Tackle....
PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 8:33 am 
FFIMer

I used to do something similar before new lines were sold with loops at both ends. I might have become lazy. I remember telling myself and anyone else who would listen that nail-knotting a short section of mono to the end of the fly line (which would then attach to the leader) made it turn over better. I used a nail knot from mono to fly line and sealed it with Pliobond and let it dry overnight. The short section of mono would end with a perfection loop and enabled quick changes for packaged, tapered leaders.

I’m tempted to try that again. Except that I just purchased one of the new Orvis Pro lines and it seems a shame to take a pair of scissors to it before I even get it wet for the first time.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 11:57 am 
FFIM-aholic

I've tried a lot of different line to leader connections. It's loops for me. A Nail knot does sometimes catch when being pulled through the tip-top especially if you have your rod at a high angle. Pliobond helped but if you wanted to put on a new leader it required a new knot and new coating of Pliobond. So, I went the short mono section with a Perfection Loop like the system Tinsnip used to use. The Perfection Loop caught - once in a while.

So, probably after reading the same Fly Fisherman mag issue that Dave read I started doing the Whitlock Superglue splice. Nice. A lot of messing around but you only had to do it once for pretty much the life of the line because (like Dave I was tying my own leaders) I built my leaders from that butt section down with Blood Knots.

Then I discovered Braided leaders, with integrated loops and liked them. So I shorten up my butt sections and put Perfection Loops in them so I could loop-to-loop my leader connection. I still had a knot but Perfection Loops caught so infrequently I certainly could live with that setup.

Sometime after that came the integrated loop fly lines and matched with integrated loop Braided Leaders I found I had a connection that slipped out over that tip-top smoothly, just as I wanted it too. And, that's the setup I use on all my floating lines. I'm fishing some braided leader sections that are well over 10-years old with confidence. No problems.

Whatever you use for a line to leader connection, I agree with Dave. Get those reels greased up, get new leaders on, and get ready to rock.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 9:27 pm 
FFIMer

I use about 10” of 20-25 lb maxima nail knotted to fly line with a perfection loop on other end. Orvis braided leader and then about 3’ of tippet with perfection to connect to Orvis braided leader. Been using this at least 20 years or so and love this system.

Andre

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 6:40 am 
FFIMer

Put me down for "team loop-to-loop" every time on my floating lines. Once I started using furled leader I made the switch and haven't looked back. A good furled leader that's taken care of can last more than a decade as evidenced by the ones on my reels today that I made more than a decade ago. I've never lost a fish to the leader failing. But I've had plenty of lost fish to tippet failure (mostly due to operator error of light tippet with big fish in a current).

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 7:56 pm 
FFIMer

Dave, from reading your posts over the years I've realized I tend to like the same types of reels as you (like the old CFO click/pawls), so I'm curious what "new" reel you got?

Oh, and old fashioned needle knot to a hand-tied mono leader. I like tying up new leaders every winter.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 8:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave,

I got a Peerless 1.5 It’s not a Bogdan, but since Bob Corsetti stopped making them they’ve really gone up in price. I got a very good deal in one, and even if I didn’t *need* a new 4/5 weight reel...... I wanted one. A good friend that always is on the Western trip uses a Bellinger S handle reel that just screams when he has a hit Bow on, and this Peerless sounds remarkedly similar. It’s just a gorgeous reel, and I’m an admitted reelaholic

Dave M

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 8:37 pm 
FFIMer

Congrats on the Peerless. Beautiful reels that, from what I hear, are tough and functional. I was aspiring towards one myself before they stopped making them. With two young kids, my gear accumulating days are over (at least for now). But who knows? Maybe someday I'll find a good deal on one too.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 8:37 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I use nothing but nail knots for line to backer and line to leader. Never, ever had one fail. Never, ever worry about the line to backer nail knot as I’ve never, ever had a fresh water trout or salmon or bass or pike or walleye take me even close to my backer. Even with my saltwater gear it’s rare. Last year I had a cuda

and bone fish take me into the backing and my nail knot held.

I will say the from time to time the knot to the leader catches but it never fails.

Long live the nail knot! And BudLight.

Ken

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm 

Ditto what Ken said (except for the Budlight) - the simplest, most seamless line to leader connection you can make is a short nail knot finished with crazy glue - however...if I changed my leader more often than once or twice a season or used a long leader I would prolly consider some sort of loop system...
Speaking of leaders, the price of knotless, tapered FC leaders has gotten so ridiculous that I'm considering going back to tying my own knotted ones again...hell, for the price of 4 of those things you can buy a serviceable fly line - sheesh!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 9:07 am 
FFIM Addict

Loop to loop for me. Generally I fish silk with my bamboo rods. The lines I use come with a sweet tiny loop from the factory. The tip inserted back into the hollow core of the line. Inside loop diameter approximately 2 mm. Dry fly leaders are furled with a Shorb loop. ( that sentence was butchered by spell check). Nymph, wet and streamer leaders have a loop of the day looped to line. Either perfection or double surgeons loop. My plastic lines all get a Whitlock Loop of the core inserted and Zap a Gapped similar to the Whitlock blind splice. Backing has a loop big enough to pass over spool to facilitate changeout as almost all my lines are double taper and I reverse them a couple times per season.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 11:00 am 
FFIM Addict

I do things a bit differently. I've had issues with cutting the loops on standard fly lines before, so prefer a section of heavy money attached the flyline with the Whitlock method. I then put a Perfection look in the mono from which my leaders attach. I like the Perfection loop knot to be big- as I use that to keep my indicator firmly attached to the segment of heavy mono between the line and leader. I adjust my leader length from there to adjust nymph depth. It's not the usual system, but it works for me.

I've been considering playing around with Joel Anderson's method of using a segment of bright colored Seaguer Pink Label (or similar) material for the interim connection between the flyline and leader and forgo the indicator for a lighter presentation.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 11:13 am 
FFIM Addict

Oh......I suspect we all do things differently, and we all do what works for us.

I used the whipped loop in the flyline looped to the loop in the leader for many years, and for the most part it worked fine. The only problem with that method that I didn’t like was when using a long dry fly leader ( which I do frequently) the loop/ loop sometimes got caught up in the tip top.

This present method of the blind splice just seems to work best for me, as I get 5he best presentation with it. As always, everybody’s mileage will vary.

I will say, however, that a friend of mine used to ask me why I bothered to make my own hand tied leaders, when extruded mono leaders “ worked fine”. I smiled, and said I’ll tie you up a couple. Try them. He did.......and now asks me to tie him up a few every year. He’s now convinced that the hand tied are much better than store bought. If store bought work for you, by all means use them. This sport can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have to admit I love hand-tied leaders. Properly tied they cast well even if you have beyond the tip-top is the leader.
Not many store bought leaders do.

One thing I hear people complain about with knotted leaders is weeds, debris and such hang up on the knots. Funny because, especially in the fall, when leaves, hunks of dying weed and such are all through the water column I want that **** catching up on the knots. Better there than sliding down the leader to my fly.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2019, 8:56 am 
FFIM Addict

I know many of you use braided leaders. I did too, for many years...I bought them from Mike andLinda, and I loved them. They worked great, cast well, there was really nothing not to like about them.

When I started fishing the West.......specifically the Livingston SpringCreeks, and Silver Creek over in Picabou Idaho, I said to myself “ Oh oh”. The one problem I had with braided leaders was that no matter how much paste flotation I put on them when casting they sprayed droplets of water like a bastard. That didn’t really matter up on the roaring water of the East Outlet or the West Branch or the river which must never be named, but it was the kiss of death on the placid waters of Spring Creeks. I could actually see the trout scatter from that spray. Yikes!

That’s when I changed over to the Blind Splice and knottted leaders.......and have never looked back. Many of my friends actually ask if it’s a PITA tying up leaders, and I answer no......I find it relaxing. Two of us out of the six or seven that head West every year tie up a new leader every night after fishing. I like to have a brand new leader every day......it just gives me more confidence in my presentation. As always, ymmv.

Dave M