FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2019, 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game On!
PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm 

Yesterday, after a delightful paddle down one Mid-Coast stream I headed over to another to try my luck - up in the woods I landed my first 2 wild brookies of the season - nothing big, but the first ones are always big...strangely, one of them looked liked it might be a salter but I was in an area (several miles up from the head of tide) where I don't usually catch them - oh well, I'll take it - for the second season in a row, the early season conditions are unusually favorable...
Today I headed down to another of my favorite salter streams and managed to land 1 nice salter - he was one of the more unusual looking brookies I've caught in a while (not pictured) - as usual, most of his colors were washed out except for a high density of red spots, much like a brown trout - I did a double take to make sure he was a brookie - no mistake, but very notable...conditions were prime - perfect flow & air temp - I could have done with more clouds but these fish don't mind sunshine...water temp was 44* - up 5 degrees from last weekend.
Perhaps the best part of the day was the end - as I was headed back up the road to my truck with a bag of trash in my hand, I noticed that the land owner across the street, who I have been trying to track down for years, was working in his yard - I approached, we exchanged greetings & before long we were chums and I had his whole-hearted blessing to access the stream anywhere I wanted from his property - not only that, I later found out that his cousins owned most of the land adjacent to another stream I've been trying to access for years - he assured me that my access was granted there too! That and he also confirmed for me that there were some corkers in that stream - score!
April is my favorite month & if we can count on more of those "April rains" it could be a good one - Tight Lines!

Attachments:
falls.JPG
falls.JPG [ 108.32 KiB | Viewed 1301 times ]
brookie.JPG
brookie.JPG [ 58.43 KiB | Viewed 1301 times ]
File comment: Still plenty of ice left!
ice.JPG
ice.JPG [ 98.1 KiB | Viewed 1301 times ]

Post subject: Re: Game On!
PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 7:59 am 
FFIMer

Inspiring! And kudos for being patient and doing the right thing and asking permission from the property owners.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

Foley wins!!!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2019, 7:46 pm 
FFIMer

Was looking forward to your first fishy post Brian.. :!:
I will be (weather permitting) packing some grub and heading out sat. to hit some Salter streams for the day.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2019, 7:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

Headed to VT tonight to fish "The Otter Creek Classic" with my son. Wooly buggers, fiberglass and woodpiles.... Supposed to be 70 there tomorrow.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2019, 8:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

TG... this is the trib of Champlain that gets some good lake runs right?

If yes, I went there once... never again... on a warm spring day such as tomorrow I was overwhelmed by what seemed like 1 million snakes sunning around that river. Now, I will admit that I scream like a little girl at the sight of even a baby garter snake, but this was Indiana Jones ****... they were on the rocks, banks and swimming across the river.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 12th, 2019, 10:03 am 
FFIM Addict

TG,

Better throw in a few snake flies from the striped kit. And get on the water early. The snowmelt is bound to screw with both water level and clarity later in the day.