FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East Bound & Down
PostPosted: April 28th, 2019, 8:14 pm 

Yesterday I headed Downeast for my first dedicated trip of the season and it turned out to be a fine outing - even though I only landed 3 fish, which is the score for my last 4 outings, it was notable for several reasons - my first stop was the eastern-most Brown Trout stream in the USA - in short order, I landed a stout, strong, net-worthy Brown - naturally, I didn't have my net & my camera battery was depleted - I didn't catch a single Brown there last year, so this one was special - later I caught a salter from the same stream, which thrilled me just as much - I also ran into some young-ish spin fishers on that stream who were wicked good sports - that was nice... from there I visited one of my favorite salter streams to no avail and then I hit another gorgeous brook that I haven't, for some odd reason, been to for several years, and landed a salter there - on my way back to camp, I hit Kennebec-Fly's favorite Downeast stream - a drop dead beautiful coastal brook which flows out into the ocean across from Acadia NP, in a park-like setting, but unfortunately, the catching didn't live up to the surroundings...in spite of the already high water and rain, there was still plenty of good, fishable water - the clarity of the water was also surprisingly good everywhere I fished - the trick, in these circumstances is fishing (small) watersheds that recover quickly from large charges of water (rain) - it would have been heavenly to be out there today, but my schedule wouldn't permit it...I spotted my first Colt's Foot today, so things should be turning the corner pretty quick (no duh) - next week after a quick visit to Houlton I intend to return to the same area - I expect I'll be seeing a few Alewives next weekend - yesterday, I could tell the Ospreys were getting anxious...this is a great time of year - Tight Lines!

Post subject: Re: East Bound & Down
PostPosted: April 28th, 2019, 10:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Well I didn't see any fish today Brian but you're right it was a great day to be out and about.
I like you have just seen my first Coltsfoot.

And some Beaver work

But the water was too dirty and high still but, all in all, not a lost day (no fish) because I found an access shortcut.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 9:21 pm 

The patch of colt's foot in the ditch on my road came and went about a week ago. I'm expecting to see my first trout lily soon.

I've been exploring small streams and finding trout in most of them.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 6:33 am 
FFIMer

Bluebirds have returned and yes the Coltsfoot is in bloom
I headed that way myself last sat. morning Brian, the local streams have been pretty much blown out so I figured some of my Downeast brooks would be fishable. The streams that I checked out were running super high so I cut my trip short and did not get as far east as I would have liked. This weekend I plan packing up some grub and heading out for the day and fish a bunch of coastal brooks and will be hitting that gem you spoke of :) last year it did not fish well untill a little later. Then it was full of silvery salters

Attachments:
P5190022.JPG
P5190022.JPG [ 151.43 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]