FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 18th, 2019, 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of tips......
PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 9:24 am 
FFIM Addict

....FOR avoiding reel rash.

Now, I’m well aware that fly reels are tools, and are totally replaceable if one so desires. It just so happens that I really value my fly reels, and have no desire to replace the ones that I have, so I try diligently to keep them in good, if mot pristine, ( within reason, knowing they’re in use, not in a box on the shelf), condition.

First off.......never place your reel on the ground, for any reason. Put it in your hat. I see guys and ladies frequently placing their reels on the ground.......or even in the dirt......and I just cringe. Put the reel in your hat and you’ll avoid reel rash......or worse.

Secondly........if you are fishing ( or rowing, for that matter) out of a drift boat and have more than one rod with you.......as most of us do........just keep your reel case on your reel while it’s in the rod holder. I’ve seen reels just get beat to #### bouncing around in the dB rod holders........and it’s totally avoidable.

Some of my reels are more than a decade old, don’t have a scratch on them, and get heavy use.

These two tips will help keep your valuable investments in the best shape possible, and will help your wallet in the long run if you ever decide to upgrade, and sell, whatever reels you currently have.

Down to the tying room to tie up a bunch more #20 Black Corn Fed Caddis this morning for the Black Caddis hatch on the Bighorn this summer.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 12:04 pm 
FFIMer

I like that tip about using your hat as a shield for the reel. About the only time I set the reel on the ground is to thread the line on the rod. If I'm doing that at the back of the pickup, it's no problem. Elsewhere though, I have set it down on the ground and cringed a little every time. The hat is such a simple idea. Thanks!

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm 
FFIM-aholic

But then your hat gets dirty? 8)

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 2:12 pm 
FFIMer

titleguy wrote:
But then your hat gets dirty? 8)

True. Maybe ask to borrow your fishing buddie's for a coupla minutes?

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 3:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

You have apparently never seen my fishing hats.....