FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thread...
PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 2:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

All....

You know you’re tying a ####load of flies lately when you run out of thread on the third spool in the last week. 500 yards by last count.......not all in the last week, of course.......even pro tiers don’t go through that much thread.......but 200 yards of brown Danville 6/0 (which at 70 denier is 8/0 by any other companies count).........200 yards of tan 8/0 Uni; and 100 yards of black 14/0 Sheer ( akaGordon Griffiths). That, my friends, is a ####load of tying. ;-)

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Thread...
PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 4:45 pm 
FFIMer

That's retirement for you :)

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2019, 10:01 am 
FFIM-aholic

That is a lot of tying. Big time.

Remember when the most common tread around was Monocord, 3/0? And, the alternative was nylon down to 6/0 and if you looked away from a spool of nylon for a minute when you looked back at the spool it had rotted and would almost break from the weight of the bobbin.

You just couldn't help but crowd the eye when tying a size 16 dry with 3/0. You had to spin the bobbin to unwind the thread so it would lay flat and not bulk up. Even then...

It seems today's Uni-6/0 is as strong or stronger than Monocord 3/0.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2019, 12:33 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike,

I’m guessing the two greatest advances in flytieing and terminal gear since you and I started tying decades ago are the strength of tying threads and tippet. I well remember monocord. It just doesn’t even compare to today’s 8/0 and16/0 threads.

I started out using Maxima for tippet.....then switched over to Aeon and other Japanese mono tippets.......now Rio; Orvis Super Strong; and Trouthunter are orders of magnitude stronger and limper.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 10:20 am 
FFIM Addict

Speaking of thread.......why in the world are thread manufacturers still using that antiquated ought system of measurement instead of denier?

This was brought home to me yesterday when I received a couple of spools of Bennechi thread from Terry.

I was out of black thread in the smaller sizes. I had plenty of 3/0.....which I seldom, if ever, tie with. I also had a couple of spools of 6/0....... streamer thread.......which is like rope compared with what I usually tie with.

On to the sizing issue. Danville calls their 70 denier thread 6/0. Most other manufacturers call their 70 denier thread 8/0. I got two spools of Bennechi black thread that they call 12/0...... and its 70 denier. This is seriously screwed up.

Now it’s really not a problem for us veterans that have been at this game since Brontasaures roamed the earth, but for newer tiers this must be very confusing.

I just don’t get why thread manufacturers don’t usedenier as the standard of measurement. 70 denier would equate to 8/0.......140 denier to 6/0......210 denier to 3/0......etc.

That would make too much sense, I guess.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm 
FFIM-aholic

While we are at it, a consistent hook measure would be awesome. Why do I have 10 difference sized hook all in size 16?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau