FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The First Ascent
PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 9:20 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I was recently watching a short film on climbing and they mentioned in one part of the film that it's most climbers dream to have a first ascent. In climbing, that mean you are the very first one to climb a particular rock face. Those climbers are crazy by the way!

Anyways, it got me to thinking about fishing and I realized that while I have been to a bunch of places and caught a bunch of fish that I don't think I have ever had a first "ascent" on a piece of water. By this I mean, the first to ever step into that water and cast to fish. I don't mean the first on any particular day, I mean the first to step into that piece of water and cast to fish, ever. Now, I realize that there's probably not a lot of those waters left but then again, there are those types of waters left. Think of the Foley journey's into the bush in Labrador. All the unexplored waters in Canada and Alaska? Sure, the Inuits and native Americans may have stepped into the water and we'd never know about it but to stand on a river and wonder when the last time sine that period or if anyone has ever has got to be a cool feeling.

Just some ramblings from Grand Rapids.

Post subject: Re: The First Ascent
PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 11:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

You went the same place as I did... even if you are the first guy with waders, rod, boots and 100 doz flies to fish a river, odds are some guys with Spears and nets fished there first... not for sport, just do dinner, and then they moved on. In the most remote place I have ever been, even as the only Fisher I saw there, I know that the native Sami’s have fished there for a hundred generations before I was there. Not many options left I suspect.

As for climbers... and skiers... more options because the generations before wouldn’t see the value in climbing a rock when they could likely walk around it.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 12:13 am 
FFIMer

I read somewhere that within the continental U.S., the longest distance you can walk in a straight line before encountering a trail or road of some kind is ~20 miles. In many cases it's obviously far less.

I've wondered what it must have been like to live in an earlier, less populated time and fish in places that were virginal-ish. Would the fish have been easier to catch? Bigger? I don't know. I bet that in 100 years there will be folks who think back to this (our) time and marvel at our good fortune to be able to fish and hunt as we do.

As for completely untouched or "first ascent" fisheries, I'd like to think they do exist somewhere. And I think even if I had the chance, I'd be happy to leave them alone. Nice to imagine that there are parts of the world that don't even show footprints.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 7:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

Put on your gear and walk into your bathroom. Turn the tub water and make it real cold ( for realism). Jump in and cast and BAM!!! your first ascent!!! LOL

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 12:34 pm 
FFIMer

If you get to go to AK in 2020, gaze down from the float plane on the way in or out. There are about a gazzillion ‘first ascent’ opportunities!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 12:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Vermonter wrote:
If you get to go to AK in 2020, gaze down from the float plane on the way in or out. There are about a gazzillion ‘first ascent’ opportunities!

This may be true. There is a lot of water not accessible by float plane- so if someone has fished it- they came in by land or water- which is an adventure in and of itself in such a remote, hardship landscape. When we went to Alaska a few years ago- there was a group attempting a first decent on one such water. They had to hike rafts in from another drainage to do it.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 2:23 pm 
FFIMer

Most definitely true, even if it is accessible by plane (or get you close). If you have Amazon Prime, search for, and watch ‘First Descent’. Documentary with Mark Rutherford on the first descent of a Nushagak tributary. To this day, Mark won’t tell me which one it is, and, I actually prefer not to know. There are countless tributaries of the major Bristol Bay rivers. ‘In the Trees’ and I had indtended to explore some this past August, but high water prevented that. I’m convinced a lot of spawning activity happens in the unexplored tributaries. There is a ton of untouched water in Bristol Bay, long may it stay that way.

As an aside, the comment period on the latest Pebble Mine draft proposal opened today. Submit your comments, if so moved.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 4:49 pm 
FFIMer

Climbing to fishing terms have few comparisons. I see myself as more of a climber than fishermen and the terms i often think about in climbing and try to use as a fisherman are Onsite, Flash and Redpoint. They describe a subjective form of mastery of skill.

Onsite is when a climber goes to a climb for the first time and completes the climb on the first attempt with no information about the climb. The fishing equivalent would be going to a new pool or new run where you think their is fish or you see fish you read the conditions pick your approach and on the first cast or set of casts from your first position you catch a notable fish for that location.

Flash is similar to Onsite in climbing but when Flashing a route you can see someone else climb that climb or get key beta about the climb that increase your chances of being successful. The fishing equivalent would be the first time you have fished that hole or run, but you may have the benefit of seeing someone else fish that hole, or a friend gives you beta or you are being guided.

Redpoint is when you have successfully completed a climb with out aid, but it took you multi attempts possible it became a project that took many trips to complete. The fishing equivalent is that pool, run or fish that you have tried to catch and you final have success.

As a climber and fisherman i want to have more mastery of skills and be able to read a situation without aid and come up with a plan and execute it well enough to have a serous attempt at success.